1983 22c >

1983 22c

Notices

1983 22c

Old 12-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 22c

Hello, everyone. I am going to look at http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...ssic-101813428 this boat next week. Its a LEFT hand steer 83 22 Classic. There is not a whole lot of information available, and the brokers are out this week. I think it may have a Volvo 5.7 L with a 280 or 280 T drive.

I have a few questions.

Were these early 22Cs well made?

What is the general market condition for a good condition boat with the Volvo mill? From what I have gathered it seems well priced.

Does left hand steer effect the value, will I have problems finding parts for the steering system? How fast will this boat run with the 5.7L?

Is there anything that I should pay particular interest to on an early 22C?

Thank you for any relevant, knowledgeable feedback.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

They were well made but you are still looking at a 30 year old boat. Specific issues to look at are cracks in the rear floor at the base of the seats, stringer issues, and gas tank leaks (they tend to leak from the bottom through tiny pin holes so make sure there is gas in it and it's not leaking (sniff test).

If the gas tank hasn't been replaced I'd plan on that expense either now or later.

Left hand 22's are rare. Can't say what it's worth, most people want decent power in 22's so it's hard to say. The engine doesn't look marine so I'd check the starter, carb, etc. to make sure you are marine compliant.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Registered

Thank you LT.

I was not aware of the tank issue.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

If you head over to Donzi.net you'll find some good threads on restorations. GCarter has one about his '88 22 Testa rossa and another with his old 20 Minx and he shows the gas tank and the surrounding issues very clearly in them. He also shows the floor issues clearly.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Registered

yes fairly rare with the 280T and most likely a 260 or 290 hp small block chevy. the drive has trim and will be very reliable but also very slow compared to a merc driven 22. the 280T will take 400-450 hp will out flinching. props will be a bit of an issue you will need a solas titan or a volvo ultra. if it meets your budget and it is solid it will be a turn key and go boat. if you are looking to set the water on fire you would be better off find a merc boat.

I have owned a couple of volvo classics they are strong great drives.

the other area to look at is the trim lines . on the 280t they were drilled thru the transom outside the transom seal . this area was prone to leaks and gets the transom wet. so check that area well.

Matty
www.lgdonziclassic.com
Old 01-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

The port helm is unusual but not really a factor IMO. The fuel tank issue is common to many 30 year old boats that used aluminum or fiberglass tanks. I'd be very concerned about rot. Also, again IMO, if you want to go fast this model needs a big block. This boat might meet your needs but it would not meet mine. I would keep looking. If you will be happy with under 60 mph and it checks out then go for it.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Registered

some addt'l info this is an early example of the 22 2+3 . they started making them in 78 as the criterion then the f-22 then onto what we know know has the 22 2+3 ( classic) .

the honey blonde, white and lions blue is a unique color combo as well. very few 22 classics were made with the volvo AQ the mercs were more popular. not sure what you are looking for a strong sbc can be built for this that will perform pretty well but again not as well as a big block merc boat. if the boat is solid you can use it and when it needs freshening you can then do a resto and re do the transom to a merc.

sometimes it is nice to have something unusual that not everyone has.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mattyboy
yes fairly rare with the 280T and most likely a 260 or 290 hp small block chevy. the drive has trim and will be very reliable but also very slow compared to a merc driven 22. the 280T will take 400-450 hp will out flinching. props will be a bit of an issue you will need a solas titan or a volvo ultra. if it meets your budget and it is solid it will be a turn key and go boat. if you are looking to set the water on fire you would be better off find a merc boat.

I have owned a couple of volvo classics they are strong great drives.

the other area to look at is the trim lines . on the 280t they were drilled thru the transom outside the transom seal . this area was prone to leaks and gets the transom wet. so check that area well.

Matty
www.lgdonziclassic.com
Matty,

Thanks for the insight. I am not looking for a 70 mph boat necessarily, as this would be my first boat. I'm sure I'll feel otherwise after getting left in my buddies' wake. It seems well priced (if in good condition). I don't mind the small block for now, but a bb refit would be nice down the road.

I will definitely check the trim lines and fuel tank.

If she's clean and solid, I WILL bring this boat home.

I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
If you will be happy with under 60 mph and it checks out then go for it.
Under 60? I knew it wouldn't be a record setter, but I had hoped for at least 60-62. Would this be easily (somewhat inexpensively) achieved with the sb?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Registered

yes I would say with it's original power plant a 290 hp sb it would be a solid mid 50's boat. not sure what kind of power the crate motor makes. The volvo can be mated to a 454 BB but the added weight might be to much of an offset to the added power, plus moving the front motor mounts. a strong sbc with a lightweight hi-po exhaust can make 400 hp with out much fuss, and without added weight. with around 400 hp and a good prop should get you to 60 not much more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.