Teach me about the 28ZX >

Teach me about the 28ZX

Notices

Teach me about the 28ZX

Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Teach me about the 28ZX

This is the summer for me to buy (well might wait till winter).

I have been all over the place with boats I would like but one keeps coming up at the top of my list. The Donzi 33ZX......HOWEVER. It is a BIG boat that would require a new truck as well and possible storage as well away from my home. SO with all that extra cost I have looked at the 28ZX.

What can you tell me about them? Speed, Hull, COuld I tow with a 1500 series, Cabin and deck layout. Is it like the 33 in the sense that yes the 33 is labeled that but rides, feels, and tows like a MUCH biggger boat?

Also what am I getting for the price difference with a ZX or a Scorpion ZX? Price wise I could go buy a ZX with 350mags today....but the Scorpion seems to be about $10k-$15k more.....WHY?

Not set on these boats but I have interest but also questions.....can you guys help me?

Thanks,
Old 06-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buddy of mine has a nice twin 350 one. Not to bad on gas, and runs close to 70. BUT there is NO storage on the boat.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mittens
Buddy of mine has a nice twin 350 one. Not to bad on gas, and runs close to 70. BUT there is NO storage on the boat.
While I don't need much I do need some. That could be a big issue..
Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Litterally, the only place is the rear bench, and its just a center cusion that pull up abotut he size of a cooler. thats it, nothing on the sides.

and none of the seats in the cabin come up, so everything is just on the bed.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I pull my 33 with a ram 1500 4x4 with the hemi but only pull it to put in and out and not all over the states. the 33 is much nicer if u can make it work. I love mine
Old 06-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
I pull my 33 with a ram 1500 4x4 with the hemi but only pull it to put in and out and not all over the states. the 33 is much nicer if u can make it work. I love mine
We like and want the 33 a lot.

My current truck is an Escalade EXT. I have been back and forth with myself and really just don't want to sell it as a new truck is added cost on top of the boat too and I really love and enjoy my truck.

So at the time I think I need to find something that fits the budget best. I have found a hand full of 2000+ 28zx's for well under $30k . The 33 as much as I love it the best I have found is high 30's to low $40k and I would need more truck.

So with that I am quite a bit over my comfort spending level.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

i only wanted to spend 25 or 30k but couldn't find what we needed we over night on it every weekend and ended up spending 60 on the boat and im glad we did. came back from the bay last year in 4 to 5 footers and cruised at 65 the hole way with out getting beat. it was well worth the money
Old 06-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
i only wanted to spend 25 or 30k but couldn't find what we needed we over night on it every weekend and ended up spending 60 on the boat and im glad we did. came back from the bay last year in 4 to 5 footers and cruised at 65 the hole way with out getting beat. it was well worth the money

Def can't do that. $40k is my cap. I refuse to get a loan on a boat (personal reasons) and I have $40k cash. So going higher is not an option. I know people enjoy the bigger ride but we are talking a lot of cash here not a $5k-$10k swing.

Add in about $10k for a diesel 2500 to pull as well as a monthly note to store it dues to it's size.

Reality is just that and I need to stay within mine. It's hard too but it's best too for me.

Also I have a guy looking to dump off his 28ZX for under $25k with 200hrs.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
What can you tell me about them? Speed, Hull, COuld I tow with a 1500 series, Cabin and deck layout. Is it like the 33 in the sense that yes the 33 is labeled that but rides, feels, and tows like a MUCH biggger boat?

Also what am I getting for the price difference with a ZX or a Scorpion ZX? Price wise I could go buy a ZX with 350mags today....but the Scorpion seems to be about $10k-$15k more.....WHY?
As an owner of the 28ZX for just over 5 years now, I can tell you we still love ours! I do not have any experience with the 33ZX but know that I like the additions they have over the 28ZX (ie. seperate head, larger cabin, wider beam). The wider beam can be good and can be a setback (from someone I know who owns one). great for stability and the room, but for trailering by buddy in Illinois that has one has to display a 'wide load' banner when transporting (9' 3" beam). he said he got pulled over for being too wide and now has to display. He also used a 2500 Powerstroke Excursion to pull it with.

As for the 28ZX, I pull it with our 2011 Avalanche and sometimes my wifes Escalade, no problems whatsoever. even pulling out of Lake Cumberland, KY, where the launch ramps are steep and loooooong, still no problem. I do have Electric brakes though and are a big help, something you may not be able to pull off in salt water. The best we have recorded is 73.4 GPS with a 6 mph current in the Ohio River, the boat with twin 350 mags is a solid 70-72 mph boat, low 80's with the Scorpion package, and a solid 74-76 with the twin 6.2 setup. The 28ZX has a big boat feel without the big fuel pump bill. In a 92 mile roundtrip run we make with some stop and go's, WOT and idle up to the dock, I'll burn 33 gallons. Our old single big block 454 (+.060) in our 24' Donzi Blackwidow would burn 42 gallons in that same trip and the 28ZX averaged 10mph faster than the Widow. As for storage in the 28, Mittens is pretty close to being right. big cooler storage area under the rear seat (nice), cabin seats screwed down (sucks), small storage area under the v-berth cushion (I put a 12" subwoofer in there), but there is also storage on the sides in the cabin as well as in the cockpit that I really like. Room in the bilge to work on the twins is VERY NICE compared to a lot of boats in its class.

Hope this helps,

tom

Last edited by FISHIN SUCKS; 06-10-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FISHIN SUCKS
As an owner of the 28ZX for just over 5 years now, I can tell you we still love ours! I do not have any experience with the 33ZX but know that I like the additions they have over the 28ZX (ie. seperate head, larger cabin, wider beam). The wider beam can be good and can be a setback (from someone I know who owns one). great for stability and the room, but for trailering by buddy in Illinois that has one has to display a 'wide load' banner when transporting (9' 3" beam). he said he got pulled over for being too wide and now has to display. He also used a 2500 Powerstroke Excursion to pull it with.

As for the 28ZX, I pull it with our 2011 Avalanche and sometimes my wifes Escalade, no problems whatsoever. even pulling out of Lake Cumberland, KY, where the launch ramps are steep and loooooong, still no problem. I do have Electric brakes though and are a big help, something you may not be able to pull off in salt water. The best we have recorded is 73.4 GPS with a 6 mph current in the Ohio River, the boat with twin 350 mags is a solid 70-72 mph boat, low 80's with the Scorpion package, and a solid 74-76 with the twin 6.2 setup. The 28ZX has a big boat feel without the big fuel pump bill. In a 92 mile roundtrip run we make with some stop and go's, WOT and idle up to the dock, I'll burn 33 gallons. Our old single big block 454 (+.060) in our 24' Donzi Blackwidow would burn 42 gallons in that same trip and the 28ZX averaged 10mph faster than the Widow. As for storage in the 28, Mittens is pretty close to being right. big cooler storage area under the rear seat (nice), cabin seats screwed down (sucks), small storage area under the v-berth cushion (I put a 12" subwoofer in there), but there is also storage on the sides in the cabin as well as in the cockpit that I really like. Room in the bilge to work on the twins is VERY NICE compared to a lot of boats in its class.

Hope this helps,

tom

This helps a lot actually thank you.

Especially with what you pull it with. The storage sound small but bot bad. We will never over night in it. Just day trips to the idlands and out in the gulf. Need storage for cooler, loose items, 2 anchors, and. Want a stereo/subs.

70mph was my hope with any boat and might do small upgrades but nothjng serious. Mid 70's is the goal and a nice exhaust note to match.

Thanks for the reply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.