Z29 project opinions >

Z29 project opinions

Notices

Z29 project opinions

Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z29 project opinions

I need some advice from some people in the know. I've been watching this boat for better than 5 years and tried to buy it that many ago. When I approached the seller, the boat was in one piece, but rough - as it is now. I told him I couldn't go higher than ten on it and I honestly don't remember what he was asking, but he said he couldn't go that low. It disappeared.
2 years later it showed up in the back parking lot of my local boat dealer. It sat there for a year and disappeared again. This year it showed up on she side street of that same dealer and the outdrives are off of it and strapped up.
I couldn't take the curiosity anymore and had to go get the story.
Apparently there isn't one. The dealer owns it. I've know and dealt with him for years, but never quite trusted him. He's kind of a sheister, but a nice enough guy. He says the drives and engines are perfectly fine. The skags were broken and so they've been fixed and several nuts and bolts were bad so he wanted to tighten it up and paint the units so they looked better. I believed that much.
The front seats are out of it, they've been stripped of the vinyl and are ready to be recovered. The bases are still in place. You can view the condition of the rest.
The cuddy is missing the once installed refrigerator and if there WAS a genny, not only do I not know where it was, but it's probably been removed as well. I didn't see any sign of one, but it does have 120v outlets as you can see. Looks like the headliner might be drooping a bit on the one side after looking at the pix. I didn't notice it when I crawled in.
The hull is in average shape with some serious paint/ buff flaws in it and one repair to the port side rear. I took pix of it. Neither the gentleman on the phone, nor the dealer now knows how it happened or how it was repaired.
You can see the two chips along the rubrail that I took pix of and the rubrail is in need of replacement.
So. There you have it. And here's the album.

http://s614.photobucket.com/user/bro.../library/Donzi

The dealer says that he'd be willing to sell it to me for 10 "ish" as she sits. Is that a deal that I need to scoop up or is he trying to dump a turd on me? I've loved this boat since I first saw it years ago and I'm willing to do the work to get her back in shape, but I also don't want to throw money in the garbage. I had considered telling him that if he bolts the outdrives back on with the props and makes it water worthy enough that we could take it on the river and test it, that I'd give him 10. What say you all?
Opinions?
Thanks for any feedback and help.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Dont buy it! Seriously. That thing needs work, alot of it.
In the end youll be much farther ahead spending more initially for a nicer boat.
He should give you money to take it.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Registered

That's what I was thinking
Old 07-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Registered

Thanks for the opinions and I know it needs work. So my second question becomes....supposing I could find one, realistically what would I pay for a Z29 in good shape? I don't expect that I will find too many in the midwest, though I do have powerboat options in Lake of the Ozarks which is about a 5 hour drive. Otherwise most near me are in Michigan. I'm not looking to buy right now as I have a house on the market and I'll be selling my Liberator at the end of summer, but I would like to have a decent figure if you guys have an opinion on that also?
Old 07-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet you could find a nice z29 for 16-22.... Maybe less. If you love that boat I would keep an eye out for one in good shape. I was in your position not to long ago... I sat down made a list of my top boats that I wanted, then figured out what I had to spend,I didn't plan on buying till next year, I made a quick stop one day at my local credit union to see what I had to do to make sure when the time was right I could borrow a few G's. Well they ran me and informed me that for the next 45 days they were running a promotion 3% on all boats...... So that changed everything. Now I'm in the boat I always wanted. So make a list of what ya want and your budget... Ya never know what kinda deal you will find, and remember cash talks!!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Registered

What I want - A Donzi Honestly, if not then it would REALLY have to win me over. Most other boats are ugly or have some form of turn off for me. I've seen a couple bajas that look acceptable. Very nice H2X on ebay recently that went for 22. I want between 25 and 30 feet, pullable by a lifted Tahoe with a 350. I prefer single engine, though if I liked the boat a lot, it wouldn't matter. The twin 350s in the 28zxs would be a good fit. My budget at the time of purchase will be 20k. I don't believe in credit, so I wont be shopping until I have it. I owe no one but my mother in this lifetime. If I could pick up this model boat in good condition for under 20 I'd be happy and if that's a realistic goal, then yes, I'll get my ducks in a row and keep shopping.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Registered

A 350 ZX would be a good fit... I think there is one up around me they have been asking 24 for and it's been listed for a long time. I heard it need work , but it kinda sounds like what your looking for... I bet 20 would buy it as long as its been on CL..... Just looked and it was gone.... But it has been put on and taken off for I've a year so keep an eye out.... That Z29 looks like a lot of project.

Last edited by mptrimshop; 07-02-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Registered

If I was looking for a used power boat I would start my search with Ed Champion@ Lake Ozark Marine http://www.lakeozarksmarine.com/ He is very well connected in the boating industry,
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by brodzowski
I need some advice from some people in the know. I've been watching this boat for better than 5 years and tried to buy it that many ago. When I approached the seller, the boat was in one piece, but rough - as it is now. I told him I couldn't go higher than ten on it and I honestly don't remember what he was asking, but he said he couldn't go that low. It disappeared.
2 years later it showed up in the back parking lot of my local boat dealer. It sat there for a year and disappeared again. This year it showed up on she side street of that same dealer and the outdrives are off of it and strapped up.
I couldn't take the curiosity anymore and had to go get the story.
Apparently there isn't one. The dealer owns it. I've know and dealt with him for years, but never quite trusted him. He's kind of a sheister, but a nice enough guy. He says the drives and engines are perfectly fine. The skags were broken and so they've been fixed and several nuts and bolts were bad so he wanted to tighten it up and paint the units so they looked better. I believed that much.
The front seats are out of it, they've been stripped of the vinyl and are ready to be recovered. The bases are still in place. You can view the condition of the rest.
The cuddy is missing the once installed refrigerator and if there WAS a genny, not only do I not know where it was, but it's probably been removed as well. I didn't see any sign of one, but it does have 120v outlets as you can see. Looks like the headliner might be drooping a bit on the one side after looking at the pix. I didn't notice it when I crawled in.
The hull is in average shape with some serious paint/ buff flaws in it and one repair to the port side rear. I took pix of it. Neither the gentleman on the phone, nor the dealer now knows how it happened or how it was repaired.
You can see the two chips along the rubrail that I took pix of and the rubrail is in need of replacement.
So. There you have it. And here's the album.

http://s614.photobucket.com/user/bro.../library/Donzi

The dealer says that he'd be willing to sell it to me for 10 "ish" as she sits. Is that a deal that I need to scoop up or is he trying to dump a turd on me? I've loved this boat since I first saw it years ago and I'm willing to do the work to get her back in shape, but I also don't want to throw money in the garbage. I had considered telling him that if he bolts the outdrives back on with the props and makes it water worthy enough that we could take it on the river and test it, that I'd give him 10. What say you all?
Opinions?
Thanks for any feedback and help.
i have mentioned this name before.you want to go to donzi.org and look for a member named truser,,name is mike trusedale..he redid a z29 and he can give you all the thousand's of dollars of details lol..

Also you reallly want to check the stringers and transom on this boat,,espically if it sat outside,,the transom and stringers are known for rot in thease boats..i would suggest havine someone that does fiberglass work in your area to check it out ..

Last edited by FIXX; 07-02-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That boat is not worth 10. just my two cents. Unless you have a bunch of money and time to repair the following.
stringers
transom
rear platforms
front bulkheads.
not including the paint and glass repair.

Great boat. I love mine.... go to donzi.net and review the z29 post I posted for 2 years on restoration!