Notices

Donzi 33ZX and 35 ZFC Insight?

Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donzi 33ZX and 35 ZFC Insight?

Hi fellow OSO folks!

I've been out of the performance boat game for about 7 years but I'm getting the itch to get back in. Some of you may remember me getting screwed by the insurance company on my 33 Baja Outlaw back in 2007. Anyway Here is my question for everyone here. I'm thinking about a 1998 ZX or a newer 35 ZFC. I like the idea of a semi-performance CC as it probably would suit my boating needs better than a full on performance boat. But curious as to what everyone thinks about the Donzis of those sizes and anything else I should be considering. Thanks in advance.

-mike
'14 VW Touareg TDI
'17 Holden Commodore 6MT
'13 Subaru BRZ Spec 86 Cup Race Car
Old 07-09-2014, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a '99 33ZX and loved it. It rode very nice and ran well, w/502mags the boat ran 74-75mph. It was the twin step boat not sure if 98 had the steps or not. There will be 10mph difference if it doesn't have them. They are a very big boat for 33ft. , the only reason we got rid of it was because we bought a top gun.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Registered

I have a 29 zfc and really like the boat for what we use it for, mostly cruising and rafting up. The things I like most are the outboard power, the top end speed as well as the T-top and small cuddy. The 35 would be able to handle just that much bigger water and have more room and amenities.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered

I have a 2005 Donzi 35 ZF with cuddy powered by two 275 HP Verados. Very nice ride with plenty of room, full enclosed head and room in the front to get out of the sun. Great all around boat. Unfortunately it may be for sale soon if you are interested.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Both are great boats!
33zx - You definitely want a 33zx with the twin steps because that is a totally different boat than the straight hull. My friend had one (2003ish) and I spent a lot of time on it. It rode amazing, huge cockpit and cabin for a 33, and ran more like a 38 footer in the rough. The boat really should have been called a 35 because it was closer in length to it.
35zf - This is also a great boat. The Donzi 35 & 38 center consoles are what launched this whole performance CC craze. The Scarab Sport models were around for years and Fountain built fishing CCs but Donzi boosted it up a notch with the stepped bottom speed and luxury appointments. They have a good blend of room (9'6" beam) with the speed of a twin step hull. Very good performers in both rough and smooth. There are a few different models - 35zf (more basic fish open bow), 35Zfc (cuddy cabin & fish), 35Zfx (Cuddy Cabin and more seating)

Both are great and different boats, it all depends on how you boat and what you are looking for.

Last edited by Tom A.; 07-21-2014 at 04:22 PM.