Set up for a 27 ZR with a 525 EFI

Notices

Set up for a 27 ZR with a 525 EFI

Old 01-15-2015, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by jbdykes
Todd,
Copy all and I'll make sure to post the spacer on this Donzi thread. Although, I thought about it, my boat came with a 26p B1. If that is what you were running, your prop slip numbers are real good and I doubt that your X diminsion is off like mine was. Which means you probably don't need a spacer at all.
Break, for Thirdchildhood - is your 30p B1 recommendation for me? I'm all ears on any advice you have. The 28 B1 is doing well for me, but i think i'm going to take the prop in for re-cupping. There are no dings, dents, scratches or anything, but it's about 5 years old now and probably could use some attention. That should be like adding some pitch but if you ran a 30p B1 on a 27ZR, can you tell me what kind of performance you got?
Thanks! Barry
I have never owned a 27 ZR but from what I've read the 525 should get you near the same top end as my 22 Classic because of the stepped bottom. You had said that the hole shot was good which would indicate that the drive is not too high. Then you said that spacing the drive down made it perform better which I didn't understand. Maybe it's because of the increased leverage giving more bow lift? I run a 525 and 30p Bravo 1 labbed by BBlades on an Imco shorty. I bump the rev limiter (5,400 rpm) in ideal conditions. I run low to mid 80s. I thought that a similar set-up would work well for you.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to measure where the propshaft is in relation to the keel. That will give us an idea of how your boat is set up. Run a straight edge along the keel, and measure how low the propshaft is with the drive at a neutral position. I've done a lot of testing and research with fast single engine V bottoms.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, been busy the last couple of weeks and haven't had time to respond. My "freshly rebuilt" XR/ IMCO lower with "2 hours MAX" on blew out on me. But, back to the set up. for ThirdChildHood, if I get a chance after the new install, I'll try a 30p B1.
For you and ToMorrow, yes, this is the strangest set up ever I guess. I talked to Scott Mandy (Speed and Custom Marine) and BBLADES about my really high prop slip when I first had the 525 installed. Scott wanted to go back to the performance with the 496 HO/ 1X drive and discuss that first. We determined that the prop slip was bad then as well (1.65 ratio @ 64 mph = 23%). The first thing he said was that I needed a spacer. After that, emailed BBLADES with the numbers. They told me that I probably needed a spacer and maybe a 5 bladed prop. And like I said, after adding the 2 inch spacer, everything changed. The hole shot was as good as it had ever been (in truth, I "roll" into the throttle fairly easily but steadily so this may be harder to assess, but it felt better than ever and the boat responded well), got 46 mph at 3500 RPM's and increased top end speed. Ran out of lake and can't wait to get it out in the Gulf to see what it will give me. Of course, now I'm going to be running all an new outdrive and will have to wait for the break in period, but will get back on here with the data. I'll also get the X diminsion when I get the new outdrive back on in a week or so. Thanks to all!