Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Donzi
Donzi 22 Classic in boat wakes >

Donzi 22 Classic in boat wakes

Notices

Donzi 22 Classic in boat wakes

Old 06-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

The Bravo 1 prop is very popular on this model. I run a 30p. As noted, in rough water run the drive at neutral and use the tabs to keep the boat running flat. This is a 22' boat that can handle some big water but it does have limitations. I have to go minimal planing speed on the mixed up week-end waters of Lake St. Clair. Ditto with Western Lake Erie when it's kicking up. Now if you have evenly spaced waves that make sense it can usually handle it pretty well; Just beware of the rogue wave or hole. Get full hydraulic steering if running in this kind of water.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
The Bravo 1 prop is very popular on this model. I run a 30p. As noted, in rough water run the drive at neutral and use the tabs to keep the boat running flat. This is a 22' boat that can handle some big water but it does have limitations. I have to go minimal planing speed on the mixed up week-end waters of Lake St. Clair. Ditto with Western Lake Erie when it's kicking up. Now if you have evenly spaced waves that make sense it can usually handle it pretty well; Just beware of the rogue wave or hole. Get full hydraulic steering if running in this kind of water.
Thanks for the advice.
The boat handles great in wind driven (evenly spaced) waves of reasonable size.
Sounds like I'm going to have to save any high speed runs for during the week or in the morning on weekends, before it gets crazy.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by snave8
Thanks for the advice.
The boat handles great in wind driven (evenly spaced) waves of reasonable size.
Sounds like I'm going to have to save any high speed runs for during the week or in the morning on weekends, before it gets crazy.
Yep. I'm a week-day boater. Leaving right now for Lake St. Clair and going to run the St. Clair River up into Lake Huron.

Back from an awesome day on Lake Huron in the 22 Donzi.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 06-02-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've tested a bunch of props and don't like the B1 on these type hulls unless lab'd/altered for increased bow lift. I've experienced too much stern lift and the handling goes to chit.
I run a 4 blade Merc Rev 4 25p RH on my 502 powered 22' Classic. Have also run the 25p Merc Mirage that came with the boat from the factory and the best 3 blade I tested was a Turbo 1.
Any 22' boat will have it's limitations in large waves. I've found you need to simply slow down in 3-4 foot boat wakes. As others have mentioned neutral drive trim an tabs does help...
Old 06-03-2016, 12:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, and Yes, I save the WOT runs for during the week. Hit 71 on GPS 76 on Speedo with full fuel, full cooler, and 4 big boys on board last night...
Old 06-03-2016, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a lot of seat time in a 22 classic. I had a supercharged 454 that ran 80 mph. As said multiple times already, its a drivers boat above 50-60 mph, keep the drive neutral in rough conditions and just drag the tabs a bit to keep the nose down but do not bury them. The boat is designed to run into the waves and does not like a 45 degree approach. Whenever possible, 90 degree it. Washing machine conditions unfortunately suck and there isn't much you can do. However, if you let the water dictate your running speed and don't try and over run it, it will take some pretty nasty slop.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
I've tested a bunch of props and don't like the B1 on these type hulls unless lab'd/altered for increased bow lift. I've experienced too much stern lift and the handling goes to chit.
Congrats on the boat purchase. I love the Anni Editions. I have one myself. I hated the B1 prop on my boat for the same reasons Pat said. Carl loves his, but his is labbed so it'll handle differently than stock. I never tried the Rev4, because I needed one larger than they make. I tried a B1, Hydromotive Q4, Mirage+ and Tempest+. The 3 blades were by far the better prop for my boat. The Mirage and Tempest were very similar but I experienced blow out with the Mirage and never had that issue with the Tempest. What worked for me, may not work the same for you though. I have more HP than stock, so need a bigger prop. A smaller pitch prop may handle differently.
No two boats handle the same, so try as many types of props as you can. A narrow beam, 24deg hull is going to be a handful. My 56 yr old cousin, who's owned nothing but hi performance boats and has been on the water since birth, severely struggled to drive my boat.

I probably shouldn't bring this up, but to help a fellow Donzite out, I'll swallow my pride (once again ) and post a link to my 1st experience with the 22C.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...in-the-new-22C
Try not to ridicule me too much. I'd never had an outdrive boat or used tabs before.

Last edited by yeller; 06-06-2016 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by yeller
Congrats on the boat purchase. I love the Anni Editions. I have one myself. I hated the B1 prop on my boat for the same reasons Pat said. Carl loves his, but his is labbed so it'll handle differently than stock. I never tried the Rev4, because I needed one larger than they make. I tried a B1, Hydromotive Q4, Mirage+ and Tempest+. The 3 blades were by far the better prop for my boat. The Mirage and Tempest were very similar but I experienced blow out with the Mirage and never had that issue with the Tempest. What worked for me, may not work the same for you though. I have more HP than stock, so need a bigger prop. A smaller pitch prop may handle differently.
No two boats handle the same, so try as many types of props as you can. A narrow beam, 24deg hull is going to be a handful. My 56 yr old cousin, who's owned nothing but hi performance boats and has been on the water since birth, severely struggled to drive my boat.

I probably shouldn't bring this up, but to help a fellow Donzite out, I'll swallow my pride (once again ) and post a link to my 1st experience with the 22C.
Try not to ridicule me too much. I'd never had an outdrive boat or used tabs before.
I've been driving stern drives, a V drive 4 point hydro (beismeyer) and outboards for 40 years and have never experienced a boat so "complicated" to drive. I own and fly an amphibious seaplane that's parked next to it........the airplane is a walk in the park on the water compared to my 22.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:49 AM
Registered

Tried the recommendation of running neutral trim and tabs while cruising which seems to help. I'm going to try a different prop and see how that goes.
One thing I learned is that the boat doesn't like running with low fuel. The gauge is totally inaccurate. Shows 3/4 full with only 15 gallons on board. With 1/4 showing on the gauge, we headed home Saturday.......10 minutes later we were out of gas....Luckily right out in front of our place. I put 5 gallons in, figuring I'd see what the top end would be very lightly loaded. In a 4" chop the boat was completely uncontrollable above 60, no matter how much I "drove" it.
Filled it up at the marina and it was a totally different boat, and able to run wide open with no problems.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by yeller

Great re-read from the past, Glenn! I can't believe how many people dissed the Bravo 1 on that thread. Now it seems to be rather popular on the 22 C. My boat feels very dialed in with a 30p BBlades labbed Bravo 1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.