In dash ice box in a 27 ZR

Notices

In dash ice box in a 27 ZR

Old 08-06-2017, 02:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts
Default In dash ice box in a 27 ZR

So I'm cleaning the bulkhead in the cabin, removed the two mirrors to clean inside, behind the dash and I see there's no drain hose on the miniature port side ice box.

It has a plastic drain fitting but water will just run out the bottom and supposedly make it's way to the bilge.Everything behind is just dry, bare fibreglass but I'm paranoid about water collecting anywhere out of sight and possibly moving forward rather than back. Does anyone have a drain hose that goes somewhere? Do I need to find some tiny space to run a drain hose?

RR
Old 08-07-2017, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

There should be a flush hull side drain fitting that connects to the cooler with a hose. Every 27zr I've seen has the drain on the port side 2/3 of the way down the hull side in line with the front fairing. The starboard side is the fuel fill and has a vent right near it. That cooler should be tied into the port drain either by itself or teed into whatever else drains out of it.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the reply.
She has a thru-hull on the port side, around the 2/3 mark but I think it connects to the bilge pump under the cabin step. I saw the hose in behind the locker and it looked like it was headed down to the cabin. Not much room in there but I gave it a wiggle and it felt pretty secure.
The boat has two fuel fills (one either side) with the vent on to starboard (I think). I'm doing some more cleaning today so I'll take a torch with me and double check that hose that vents on the port side.

Thanks again,
RR
Old 08-08-2017, 04:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

OK. Fuel fills on both sides, both have a vent directly below the filler.

There's an overboard thru-hull on the port side, level with the dash/bulkhead. The hose does an upward loop and then disappears down into the bilge. Can't get access there but I'm sure it's the cabin bilge pump. I should have poured water down there to prove it!

The ice box has the plastic drain fitting just hanging there dripping. One option is to fit another thru hull fitting (next to the bilge pump fitting) for the ice box. Other option is a Tee piece to join into the existing hose, maybe on the exit side of the upward loop to prevent water draining back a little into the cabin bilge. I like to keep it nice and dry.

The plastic fitting doesn't look like it's ever had a hose on it. Thoughts anyone......?

RR
Attached Thumbnails In dash ice box in a 27 ZR-img_7344.jpg   In dash ice box in a 27 ZR-img_7346.jpg  
Old 08-08-2017, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

You scared me at first when you said you will use a torch for your investigation - then I remembered on your side of the world, a torch is a flashlight! LOL

I'd tee into the existing hose - but with a "Y" tee versus a "T" tee. Just in case it's close enough that the bilge pump could push water into your ice box (with a T tee).
Old 08-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The two best options are to "Y or T" into the bilge pump line (maybe put a one way valve on it) or run a hose to drain the cooler to the where the bilge pump is.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sorry about the "torch", glad you worked out my Aussie vernacular.
Couldn't find a Y-piece the right size so went with the Tee. All done, ice box drains and fwd bilge pump works too.

While I was in there, I noticed the passenger front cup holder doesn't have a drain hose either. Checked them all out and they just drip down into the bottom of the hull somewhere too. I might fit drain tubes to the cup holders one day but I won't post it on OSO for fear of been persecuted for obsessive compulsive behavior.

Thanks guys,
RR
Old 08-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Good job!

Welcome to the OCD boat club! My laundry may pile up, my grass might need to be cut but my boat's bilge is spotless!

LOL
Old 09-14-2017, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Tom A.
Good job!

Welcome to the OCD boat club! My laundry may pile up, my grass might need to be cut but my boat's bilge is spotless!

LOL
This is me 100%, my girlfriend gets extremely annoyed