DW Questions >

DW Questions

Notices

DW Questions

Old 05-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DW Questions

I am thinking about looking into one of the DW's in the classifieds. I am not really an OB guy, but I might be convinced. I am looking for a full canopy boat that I can potentially race as well as use as a pleasure boat. My questions are:

1) Is the DW fast because of an efficient bottom or because the boat is extremely light?

2) Any downsides to using an ex race boat as a pleasure boat?

3) Is there one bottom on all of the boats or has the bottom been changed over the years? If so, why was the bottom changed and how did they change the performance/ride?

4) Has any of the DW's been built with mild power & #6's (super cat light style) or is the boat best setup with OB's?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Race4Glory
I am thinking about looking into one of the DW's in the classifieds. I am not really an OB guy, but I might be convinced. I am looking for a full canopy boat that I can potentially race as well as use as a pleasure boat. My questions are:

1) Is the DW fast because of an efficient bottom or because the boat is extremely light?

3) Is there one bottom on all of the boats or has the bottom been changed over the years? If so, why was the bottom changed and how did they change the performance/ride?

4) Has any of the DW's been built with mild power & #6's (super cat light style) or is the boat best setup with OB's?
Comment:

Well you covered so many variables it is hard to determine what type of boat you really want. If you could provide a goal it would be extremely helpful.

For Example:
A. Do you want to race?
B. Is your intent and overall intended use pleasure boating?
C. What type of power is acceptable for your needs?

Note: Doug makes a 32 and a 38. The 38 is a hull type which is designed primarily for inboard use. You indicated your desire to pleasure boat in a full canopy race boat. I would suggest you go for a ride in one before you make a final decision.

KAP
Old 05-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Race4Glory

This what I know, but you should talk to DW himself.
1. Both, but I am told the aerodynamics also plays a role. Both tunnel and body design
2. No. but most are spartan inside compared to pleasure standards.
3. The bottom has changed. I have been told that the orginal mold was not fully supported on the bottom near the last step and moved creating rocker. This was corrected on the newer faster models.
4. Yes. There is a 32 with #6 and 750s in it. It was fast but had issues with balance.

Take it for what it is worth, but this is the story I have heard over the years. If I went back to SS class a DW would be the only boat I would buy.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Registered

4. Yes. There is a 32 with #6 and 750s in it. It was fast but had issues with balance.

i put rocker in the bottom, which it needed compared to the outboard setup.