broken wires on trim sending unit >

broken wires on trim sending unit

Notices

broken wires on trim sending unit

Old 06-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default broken wires on trim sending unit

Since I got the new boat home, ive noticed quite a few gauges aren't working. The port trim gauge works fine but the starboard shows full up all the time regardless of trim. Also the drive trim switches on the dash work fine in both directions but the wired ones on the throttles only work in the down position. NOthing happens when i hit the up button.

so i just assumed it was a bad gauge and a bad switch on the throttles. I can expect these kind of glitches on a 93 with over 700 hours.. but today when i was puttin the cover on, i noticed the trim sending unit on the starboard drive had frayed wires coming out of the top of it. upon further inspection, at some point the wire got pinched and pulled it out of the sending unit. Is there a way to reattach this wire or do i need to buy a new sending unit? And do you think thats the reason why the throttle switch and gauge isn't working?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

you can try to fix it, but i have had better results replacing the wire. it is a little tricky though
Old 06-02-2007, 08:28 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats an old style sending unit, and are very dificult to fix the wires, and chances are the internals are also bad, when you replace them they come as a set, sending unit and trim limit, change them together, the fittings that go through the transom are mached half moon fittings, you can change them without pulling the drive but it is a little tricky. good luck