Had shortie fall off >

Had shortie fall off

Notices

Had shortie fall off

Old 06-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had shortie fall off

Has anyone ever had this happen? It looks to me that the front 2-bolts lossened up and pulled out there is about 4 thread missing on each side off the front studs. Then the pressure from the water snapped the back two right off. (back being the one's by the prop) I just had these put on last friday and have only used the boat twice so far....... We have a diver going out to try and find the shortie/gears/prop. I do not believe I hit anything........ Has anyone seen this happen b-4?

Last edited by dirtycarr; 06-22-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

HOLY ****, I have had uppers and lowers apart a million times and never had one rip off,the threads must have been half pulled out or you hit something and didn't realize it. Mcollinstin (sp?) had a buddy a few years ago who's studs broke on a b-max that held the upper to the lower but I don't think it fell off,Smitty
Old 06-22-2007, 07:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

water pressure could not have made the shorty come off, the prop is pushing forward on the bottom of the shorty with the intention of over comming the water pressure, sounds like impact. you would have to be throttled up in reverse to do what you discribed.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Registered

Yes, almost had the same problem. The studs are to short. Put in longer studs, like used on the TRS housing. You will have more thread used when bolting the halves together. And use a drop of loctite on each of the nuts and you won't have anymore problems. It seems all the studs are to short on all shorties.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by John the Drive Man
Yes, almost had the same problem. The studs are to short. Put in longer studs, like used on the TRS housing. You will have more thread used when bolting the halves together. And use a drop of loctite on each of the nuts and you won't have anymore problems. It seems all the studs are to short on all shorties.
I agree with you longer studs! Thanks. I really do not think I hit anything. But, I guess we will see when we find the shortie.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Registered

I thought it was slang for losing his girlfriend overboard
Old 06-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Registered

I wish it was only my girl friend! I am so pissed! I hope the guy I bought'em from and installed them stands behind it!
Old 06-22-2007, 01:52 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

He will stand behind them.........while he's telling you that you must have hit something and I'll sell you another one!!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Maybe the bolts were over torqued, thus stripping off enough material to let all the different forces on the drive do their thing.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

possibly the studs were not changed during the install, or were installed improperly.

Quick Reply: Had shortie fall off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.