Can you "spin" a Bravo drive? >

Can you "spin" a Bravo drive?

Notices

Can you "spin" a Bravo drive?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you "spin" a Bravo drive?

Not sure of the correct terminology, but essentially the same idea as spinning a hub in the coupler or prop. I know it's not the props because they're welded solid. So that leaves coupler or drive. No loss of drive lube; still looks green in the resevoir. But I'll be changing it before next outting.
I was getting a little air this weekend and working the throttles. But one time when I landed and got back in 'em, the port motor spun right to 5k. And I was only giving it 3/4 throttle. I felt the loss of momentum, looked at the tachs and immediately cut the throttles. I didn't even come off plane before I felt it "catch", gave it some throttle and everything was fine. I didn't get any more air after that but they ran perfect the rest of the day.
I've read about coupler issues before and I'm kinda hoping that since I'm still running on 1140+hr originals, that's my issue. This is the second time this has happened; the first time was months ago (20-30hrs) and it was the starboard engine. Both times I noticed it right away; just a few seconds of free-revving. Never smelled burning rubber.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you just blew out the prop. There really isn't anything in the drive that can be "spun" that would return to normal.

Rene
Old 07-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blew out the prop huh? Well that'd be nice to know nothing is broken or worn out. But now I gotta figure out what I'm doing to blow 'em out...so I don't do it anymore. I was only running 45-50...not like I was firewalling 'em as I re-entered. Maybe my timing is off. The conditons sucked that's for sure...