3" RISE Extension box >

3" RISE Extension box

Notices

3" RISE Extension box

Old 08-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" RISE Extension box

Does any one have any have any experience with my boat or close to it with extension boxes??????????

1993 24' Outlaw 500HP

With my boat in pieces i am wondering if this would be a advantage for top end.
I hate to go threw all the work and have it be a waste of time and $$$$$$$$$
Any thoughts,
thanks
Old 08-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Wild card 09 picked up all kinds of speed from doing it on his 25 outlaw w525 efi,I picked up zero and actually lost speed and handling on my 272 w/blown 540 with a stellings box ,1 ft back and 1" up,Smitty
Old 08-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Registered

Do you know what year Wild Card 09's boat is????
Old 08-07-2007, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Look thru the Baja section,he has posted there ALOT,Smitty
Old 08-09-2007, 01:12 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked this thread up!
My 25 Outlaw is July 2002 delivered 2003 496HO boat with an X drive.
Stock, it did 67 mph @ 4900 on a labbed 25" Bravo maxed out.

I fitted the 3" lift box, together with a complete 525/XR package
and my best yet is 81.2 mph @5350 with a labbed 28" Bravo.
The handling improvement is incredible (response to trim and rough water ride) and I canīt find a fault with it in the 120 hours since I did the conversion in june 2006.
Mid season, hot days and with a full tank, I still see 78 mph.

Whether it works on the 24, I donīt want to garantee. The hulls are quite different, I think.
25 has a pad bottom and a notched transom.
Attached Thumbnails 3" RISE Extension box-transom01.jpg   3" RISE Extension box-rooster-test.jpg   3" RISE Extension box-wc50-700.jpg  

Old 08-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Registered

WELL, it looks like you drive alot like me. cool pics
Thanks for the info
I'm going to try one it seems like its worth it. My boat should respond alot like yours.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:48 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Great! This will be interesting. What motor do you have, and what drive?

I take it youīve figured that you will be fabricating new front motor mounts and cutting new holes for the tailpipes. I used the pieces I cut out (with a 4 1/4" holesaw) to fill in the old holes and then made plates to cover them.
Attached Thumbnails 3" RISE Extension box-motor-mounts-03.jpg   3" RISE Extension box-image_oso_fbo_1b_007.jpg   3" RISE Extension box-img_3539.jpg  

Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 PM
VIP Member

A one inch shorter lower will wake up that 24 Outlaw. I know of a guy who has an old 240 Sport (same hull) and he gained 4 mph with the shortie.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Registered

I will be running the Imco Extreme gimble assembly and the Imco sc drive. 500 HP

Maybe running a shorty will require less work, on my part, but what # should I run 1" 2" 3" shorter. what do you guys think.?????????
Wild card is running a 3" rise but with an extension.
I didnt realize you have to raise your motor also, the stellings extention box looks like it comes with a added U-joint Knuckle to accomadate the pinion angle?
Or should i just get the straight extension box with a shorty, and not have to move the engine??????????
any thoughts
thanks guys
Curt
Old 08-12-2007, 03:44 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

The shorty will give you some extra speed, Iīm sure. Buy a 2 or 3" one, and if you get too much slip you can always add a spacer.

Because the water leaving the back of the hull does not run at the same angle as the hull itself, the height of the drive on an extension box must be different to that of a drive directly on the transom.
The 3" lift on my box is probably similar to a 1 or 2" shorty without box. But whether Iīve reached the optimum, I donīt know, yet.

The extension box adds other qualities to the handling of the boat, literally making it behave like a bigger boat in rough water, and amplifying the steering and trim inputs, so that you can place the boat how you want it. It feels like a race boat, and I love that!

I looked at the Stellings box before I bought, because the adjustable x and the use of the original motor mounts obviously appealed. However it uses an extended driveshaft with a bearing carrier and two extra universal joints to achieve this. Another place for something to break, in my view.
The Imco is so simple, and this is probably the reason that you see it on so many race boats. I love it.

An unexpected advantage is the access to the motor, and anything below it, like bige pumps and depthfinder. An impeller change is almost enjoyable, sitting next to it and not hanging like a bat!

The 3" lift box uses the original bravo transom holes, and the inner transom has the lugs for the motor 3" higher so you only need to make front motor mounts that are 3" taller. I made beefed up ones, with 8 thru bolts instead of 3.

Learn from the racers, I say.
Attached Thumbnails 3" RISE Extension box-525-motor-topfront-view.jpg   3" RISE Extension box-motor-mounts.jpg   3" RISE Extension box-red-engineroom-2006.jpg  

Quick Reply: 3" RISE Extension box

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.