Konrad's- Been any Failures?? >

Konrad's- Been any Failures??

Notices

Konrad's- Been any Failures??

Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Konrad's- Been any Failures??

I have always thought the Konrad was a great rock solid drive up to about 800hp. I have a friend who blew up his TRS drives and wants to replace with merc 3a's or 5's. I told him to go with the Konrads and call Biggus if he needed info. He said he has checked with various sources and has found out there have been several failures and some OEM's will not offer them. Does anyone know the real truthabout the drive. I still think it is the best replacement for the trs, but he is now gun shy, Kurt what is the real story.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Buddy O. The guy that was making all the noise two weeks ago was not 100% truethfull about his situation.

First sure there have been failures of the drive. Some guys just don't know how to drive a boat, others are running the thing thinking that it is a number 6 drive.

This drive is NOT a replacement for a number 6!! It is a replacement of your TRS drive or Bravo drive. I think that anyone that is honest can see that this drive is superior to both those drives. I know guys that have blown up multiple TRS drives and have yet to blow a Konrad.

The guy that was making all the stink a couple weeks ago was running HUGE power into the drive. He claimed that he was only running just over 800hp. He has a single engine 32 Sunsation from what I know. I have ridden in a 32 with twin modified 500hp's and the boat went 93. He was claiming those numbers not even at WOT!! This was a quad rotor BIG motor. He was told from the onset that he would NOT have a warrantee and said that he was OK with that.

Second he modified the drive. He felt that he was a better engineer then Konrad was and he changed the steering. The part of the drive that failed was directly connected to the part of the drive that the steering attaches to. The cap loosened up from what it looked like from the pictures that he posted and then the shimming on the gear went all to crap.

Now I know that if I modify my Ford steering that not only will Ford not honor the steering warrantee but more then likely they will not honor ANY of it.

Now that being said Konrad STILL gave him some releif on the repair even after they told him initially that he would get no warrantee, even that guy agreed that he was told that. They paid for half of the repair. They also upgraded his gears!! The upgrade of the gear option I know from when I purchased mine was over 2,000 and he paid 2600 for the total repiar!!

I am not aware of any of the details of any other failures but I do know that they claim to have a few aplications running over 1000hp. That is impressive for a TRS/Bravo replacement.

As for OEM's not wanting to use it I understand that. Mercury has the name and marketing behind it. Mercury is the easy sell. The Manufacturer does not have to pay for the repair Mercury does so honestly they want to put on the boat what they think is the easy sell. That is with out a doubt Mercury. You hear nothing from Weisman but from what I understand they are killer drives......
Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

There apparently have been quite a few failures.

The sales guys here on OSO seem to want to keep the hush on it and when that guy who posted his experiences, he was banned.

There are two sides to every story, but remember, there is some truth in every story as well.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Boatlesss
There apparently have been quite a few failures.

The sales guys here on OSO seem to want to keep the hush on it and when that guy who posted his experiences, he was banned.

There are two sides to every story, but remember, there is some truth in every story as well.
I would like to know who the "quite a few" are. I know of only 2 but there may be more. Both those failures were well in excess of the recommended HP.

The threads got pulled from OSO because some one on the board complained about them. I asked SpeedGirl and there were some people that had reported the thread. The guy was banned because he was slandering a company and was caught more then once back peddling. He broke the rules so OSO banned him.

While there may have been a few Konrad failures how many Bravo's would these guys have gone through?

Last edited by Audiofn; 08-08-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
I
While there may have been a few Konrad failures how many Bravo's would these guys have gone through?
A fallacious argument.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

No not really when the drive is designed to be a TRS replacement and a Bravo replacement and it does that quite well except for people that use it past its recommended design criteria.

Plus the company took care of the customers from what I know. Everyone has failures from time to time it is how they handle it that counts. IMO they handled that guy more then fairly. Even he said that but then bashes them out the other side of his mouth.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:51 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still no failures in our camp! The units we've installed are profisionally maintained and none have been modified. They are all in applications within factory specs and are not being overdriven.

OSO is the place where these things come out and I sure haven't heard a whole lot of people complaining on here about problems with Konrad.

Boatless, what is your experience with Konrad? You keep posting derogatory and inflammatory things about them so let's hear it!

Last edited by Lofty; 08-10-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend that was blowing bravo's every poker run and made the switch to Konrad drives. He can't be happier and the service from Kurt as well as the company is first class. He is running a 42 Sonic with 720 Innovations. P.S. No more not finishing the run due to a blown drive..... Priceless!!!
Attached Thumbnails Konrad's- Been any Failures??-1000-islands-air-aaron.gif  
Old 08-09-2007, 06:23 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Lofty. My guess is that the other guy gets the boot from the web site because he is caught lieing and slandering a company. He lied about how much he paid for the rebuild, and he was not forthright about the modifications that he did to the drive. Now he has his chear leading section come on to try and bash the drive....... As you said it is not like there are tons of people on hear saying that their drives blew up as these guys claim. SO I guess that I am waiting for them to tell us who all these customers are, other wise I only know of two and they were both well in excess of the drives specs and one of them is the drive that was modified and that customer was taken care of in MORE then a fair maner IMO. The real money rebuild cost tot that guy was like 300 bucks, BIG DEAL then he comes on hear and bashes the company? GET REAL

Last edited by Audiofn; 08-09-2007 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed.

We only have around 380 hours on the Konrads we put on our own Fountain with a pair of 675hp mills. It's about 300 hours more than I would have expected from the competitors drives in the same app.

Quick Reply: Konrad's- Been any Failures??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.