Trimax G-Drive with 330 HP diesel

Notices

Trimax G-Drive with 330 HP diesel

Old 08-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trimax G-Drive with 330 HP diesel

Hi:

I would like to convert a Bertram 25' to Trimax g-drive with cummins 330hp 6bta5.9 diesel and ZF 63T inboard transmission.

I'm drawn to the simplicity of the Trimax drive. I realize that a stern platform will have to be designed and fabricated to fit and that if this work is not done properly, I may end up cursing the package.

I'm fed up with sterndrives that corrode, leak and all the other things that go wrong with them. I want to spend my boating time fishing or cruising and not fixing my boats propulsion system.

Is there anyone on board that has experience with this kind of project or setup?

Thanks for your input in advance.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Registered

Default Where is board member Super Termoli these days?

As it would seem he has some experience with the product I'm considering
Old 11-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

No experience with the Trimax drive. But, I did convert my boat from a stern drive to an Arneson drive (ASD-7M) which has a stand off drop box with a 1.3 ratio. The tranny is a 1:1 ratio, tweaked velvet drive. It looks like the bravo to arneson conversion kit. Basically I had to:
1) Cut a larger hole for the stand off box, so, once this is done there is basically no going back to the stern drive without some serious glass work.
2) The engine was in a different position after I put it back in the boat, so, I had to move the mounts and redo the through the hull exhaust. The engine was actually moved back about 3 inches which gave me more clearance for changing the belts, but it presented some minor clearance problems at the back where I had the drive trim and K-plane pumps mounted. So, I had to relocate them and get longer hoses.
3) I had to get a custom prop made for the boat. There was a very lengthy wait time for this it was quite pricey ($2k), but the results were good. I picked up 8 MPH at the top end while actually going down in pitch. Handling is as good or better then the stern drive. Originally, I tried a few high performance surface drive drops (cleaver type), but the boat would hardly move. I had to have a large diameter, 5 blade round ear prop made and the prop made all the difference in the world. If are going to go with a surface drive, then you need to find yourself a good prop shop that knows what they are doing.

The Arneson drive has performed well, but presents some bottom clearance issues that you need to be careful about. In other words, if you hit hard bottom with it you may rip the drive off the stand off box. It does not tilt up on impact like a stern drive will. If you always boat in deep water it will not be an issue. I am sure all surface drive systems have this issue.

Just looking at the Trimax web site, it would seem like fitting an Arneson drive on your boat would be easier / quicker / cheaper then building a custom platform for the rudder and skeg attachment.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DonziJapan
Instead of a Trimax why not a SeaRex or MiniRex they would install easier. Your biggest problem is gonna be getting the props right.
Why go with a copy of an Arneson when you can just go with the Arneson in the first place. That way you have service, knowledge base and value.

There must be a reason that ZF cannot give their copy away.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is something similar to Fabio's Trimax but a little easier to install and besides the go fast units they have models more adapted to your boat.

http://www.flexitab.com/eng_flexidrive.htm
Any performance applications of the flexidrive in the US? Any idea on cost?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Registered

Also,
have you looked at the Volvo D6 DPR package?
355 hp w/ duoprop sterndrive in a reliable package.
http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/e...ve/d6-370_dpr/
Old 12-03-2007, 10:43 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Attached Thumbnails Trimax G-Drive with 330 HP diesel-stern-01.jpg  
Old 12-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ZF drives are evolutions of not copies of the Arneson drive. Cost is the factor It's a case of why go full bore top of the line when something cheaper will get the job done. Before you go running around with this ZF copied from Arneson remember that the Arneson Drive is an evolution of the Arena drive. Somebody looks at somebodies technology and builds a better one it's not copying it's evolution.
You really need to check your facts.

Dan Arena made his drive several years after Howard made his drive. They are
absolutely nothing alike at all. If you want a copy of the Arena drive
unit you should look at the CA 5000 built by a group led by John Conners.

Dan made a race boat for Howard. Howard at the time had Dan make the
boat with a bussel to accept Howard's version of the strut/rudder
fixed surface drive. Just like a Ski Boat drive, but mounted to the
transom instead of the bottom. Basically like all the fixed surface drives since the 20’s.

ZF is a direct copy. I've personally had the conversations with the ZF
engineers who admit it. They changed the steering cylinders and that
is it. They copied the ASD14 drive unit, they purchased two of these
units and reverse engineered them.

As for cost, who said ZF was less expensive?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
Any performance applications of the flexidrive in the US? Any idea on cost?
$120K.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:57 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Rik
$120K.
thats what the OSG donzi has isn't it?

Quick Reply: Trimax G-Drive with 330 HP diesel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.