Winter Project..38' Fountan trs to bravo >

Winter Project..38' Fountan trs to bravo

Notices

Winter Project..38' Fountan trs to bravo

Old 10-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Project..38' Fountan trs to bravo

I'm getting ready to start my "winter" project. I'm getting rid of the TRS set up and going to Bravo. The questions I have is it easier to go with extension boxes from trs transom to bravo drive. At which point I have to replace bell housings, fly wheels, starters, and make drive shafts. Or re-glass transom, move motors back and re-glass stringers. I have a good deal on 2 bravo's with gimbals. I know the quick and most expensive fix would be Konrad's, but then I'd have more money in drives than the boat...

Thanks for all the input in advance!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 369 Likes on 248 Posts

can't help but post pictures!
Old 10-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to Konrads, you can bolt them on at the gimbal and be done with it. They will also outlast the Bravos.

Like this Pantera, the job is easy and should take but a few hours.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Project..38' Fountan trs to bravo-tn_pantera-1.jpg   Winter Project..38' Fountan trs to bravo-tn_pantera-4.jpg   Winter Project..38' Fountan trs to bravo-tn_pantera-5.jpg  

Old 10-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Registered

or you could do a complete conversion like this Fountain.

The Konrad conversion is cheaper in the long run unless you plan on doing all the glasswork yourself. Stellings made a extension box for a TRS transom but they are no longer available (to my knowledge) so you will need to move your motors back. I've found the Konrads to be far more reliable also, this is another costing factor.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Project..38' Fountan trs to bravo-transmfit1.jpg   Winter Project..38' Fountan trs to bravo-tn_fountain-3.jpg   Winter Project..38' Fountan trs to bravo-tn_fountain-2.jpg  

Old 10-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Love the bolt-on Konrad's
Attached Thumbnails Winter Project..38' Fountan trs to bravo-img_1158-large-.jpg  
Old 10-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Registered

Do you still use the B/W trannies with the Konrads? And since they are so new, I'm assuming you can't find remanned Konrad's yet??? I've got about 30k into this boat so it's hard to justify spending 15+ on new drives. At that point do you sell the boat for 30-40k, take the 15k, and go find another "headache"??
Old 10-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Registered

Kurt, those don't look like bolt ons to me

txlefty, Konrads aren't all that knew. In fact they've been around for quite some time but I haven't seen any used ones for sale.

Like you said, you can always sell your boat and buy another project for more money. Then again you might be better off keeping this one and building it the way you want it. We've all got to make up our own minds on these things.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Registered

And yes, they use the BW tranny.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Registered

konrads, you will spend a lot of money replacing the bravos 2 or 3 times a season, just think your on a poker run at the last stop you leave and break a bravo now your 60miles away from the boat trailer and the start , so your limpimg on 1 drive back at 5mph and the other drive breaks trying to push that heavy 35ft boat minus the beak just joking so 38ft boat and your 40 miles away, everyone else with there konrad drive boats are back the marina partying going hey what happened to the fountian, so they send out sea tow and they find you hours later when you get back they all have left its midnight now, you open your cards and theres 4ACE's you would have won with your hand if you would have had KONRADS on the back of your boat IN THE LONG RUN KONRADS ARE THE WAY TO GO.