Alpha one drive Movement >

Alpha one drive Movement

Notices

Alpha one drive Movement

Old 10-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha one drive Movement

How much side to side drive movement should a alpha one have?

If it has to much where could it be worn at to cause this?

What I am talking about is if the drive is tilted up and you grab it how far should it move without turn the wheel with the engine off?

I looked at it real close today, at the pivot pin that connects to the steering arm there is about 1/8 inch of play. Of course at the tip of the foot with it in the up postion there is about 2 inches of play back and forth.

But the gimbal is only moving about a 1/8 th at the most.

How long can I run like this? I dont want to spend big $$ right now as the wife will kill me. This is my secound boat this year and I still have the first one so I cant even tell her I need a gimbal ring. Can I tighten it? Or should I just use it like it is?

Like they say if it Floats or F*cks it is going to cost money!!! Dang they are telling the truth!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:27 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No movment is best. You may be able to add a ss washer or 2 & retorque the gimble ring a little but be carefull. If you snap the U clamp you will have headaches.. If the shaft is rounded & you have a lot of slop then you need to replace it. Jamie / Lakeside

Old 11-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i f it has bolts in it torque them to the spec, go back and forth between them it may take several attempts to get them tight as when you tighten them the first one will be loose again. some of the paly you are notising is the power steering valve and that paly goes away when the engine is running.