Bravo 1 Shift cable retainer let go of cable >

Bravo 1 Shift cable retainer let go of cable

Notices

Bravo 1 Shift cable retainer let go of cable

Old 11-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts
Default Bravo 1 Shift cable retainer let go of cable

SO, today I was out on my second-ever run with my 22' Scarab (454/Bravo 1), everything had been working well, until I tried to hit reverse (it was not the first time for the day -- I had been back and forth from F to R multiple times up to that point).

On the way home, the drive was stuck in Forward -- no neutral, no reverse. Made it interesting for a novice boater like myself

I was impatient and I pulled the drive this evening. Bit of a PITA by myself, but I got it off.

SO...
The jaws that hold the shift cable apparently opened up and let go of the nub on the end of the shift cable. So now, I need to figure out what caused that to happen, and how to not let it happen again... Does that assembly need to be replaced? From what I can see, the shift cable is in good shape -- but should I replace that while it's all apart??

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 11-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andrew,

I am not too familiar with that setup, but I believe we were talking earlier in the day about how hokey it is, I have only pulled a few bravos in the past. You were in and out of reverse a few times tying up, and it seemed fine, not sure what to tell you, but I am sure these guys will know best. glad to help get it fixed, but i will be kinda busy for the next week preparing for key west, dont sweat it, it'll get fixed.

Rick
Old 11-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure that the shift cable is not broke or frayed. Replace if it looks worn at all since it is apart. Linkage is probably worn out. I would replace it. You will just need to drain the drive, pull top and back cover off. Take out the two allens that are holding the shift fork and the shift linkage in place. Slide up the shift shaft and you should be able to get the linkage out. You might need to find a threaded rod that can thread into the top of the shaft to pull it up. Or if you know of a shop that has that specialty tool. You might as well replace the detent ball assembly while you are at it. It will probably be about 100.00 in parts if I can remember right. Write back if you have any questions.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

I took the back cover off the drive this morning, and I think I may have found the problem -- the latch that holds the shift cable on to the linkage, is bent, allowing a big enough space for the cable end to jump out of. I'll attach some pics. Now, I figure I'm going to replace the latch AND the linkage piece, just for peace of mind, since I don't know if there's some misalignment there that I can't detect with my eye. I'll probably replace the cable and the bellows too. Any thoughts on this? Any idea WHY this happened, other than "Sh*t happens"?

Last edited by DrFeelgood; 05-07-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by agchoset
I took the back cover off the drive this morning, and I think I may have found the problem -- the latch that holds the shift cable on to the linkage, is bent, allowing a big enough space for the cable end to jump out of. I'll attach some pics. Now, I figure I'm going to replace the latch AND the linkage piece, just for peace of mind, since I don't know if there's some misalignment there that I can't detect with my eye. I'll probably replace the cable and the bellows too. Any thoughts on this? Any idea WHY this happened, other than "Sh*t happens"?
you get up way too early on a monday morning
Old 11-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by agchoset
I just changed both shift cables a couple weeks ago Here is an idea ! It works slick
The new cables are Teflon coated and much better than the old ones. The new cable comes with a new threaded tube that attaches to the engine end of the cable, after you take some measurements unscrew the tube out of the old cable and make a short threaded eye bolt out of it by flattening the unthreaded end of the tube, shortening it to about 1" in length and drilling a hole thru the flattened portion that you can attach a string to before you pull the old cable out. Then use it to pull the new cable in thru the transom. Make sure to leave the new cable in the new housing when you pull the new cable back in, just push in up against your threaded eye bolt in the new housing. Don't forget there is a wrap around shield you need to remove first, it's down by the transom thats protects it from abrasions. Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails Bravo 1 Shift cable retainer let go of cable-p1010052.jpg  

Last edited by rrentsch; 11-09-2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: added picture of part.