Shift cable adjustment >

Shift cable adjustment

Notices

Shift cable adjustment

Old 11-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shift cable adjustment

I have searched this forum and read alot about cable adjustment. The problem I have been having with my bravo 1 drive was that when you shifted into forward it would hesitate 4-5 seconds before going into gear. Had done this the last several outings. Then the last outing it decided to not go into reverse. Got back with out reverse and removed both cables from shifter bracket at engine. With motor running and on boat lift, pulled cable to transom and shifted forward ok. Pushed cable in toward transom and it went into reverse. Put back together without changing anything. Tried and still no reverse. Removed lower cable from bracket again and screwed "barrel nut" toward the transom approx 1/2-3/4 inch. Put back together and now shifts into reverse. Forward is still ok. I done all this before researching on the cable adjustment procedures and such. I ran the boat and all SEEMS ok. My question is have I done something that is harmful to my out drive? When comparing cable adjustment to the starboard side, the barrel nut on it has 1 inch or more threads showing where I now have 1/4 inch left on the port side. One guy told me I had done a temporary fix for a worn cone clutch. This side has always been stiff to shift in either direction also. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Registered

I'm sure through your searches you read about the cable adjustment tool from Merc. I just instaled a new shift cable with my new outdrive, and did not have the adjustment tool. At first I had neutral and reverse but no forward. Did a search here about the tool and found that the distance from the barrel and the mounting screw should be about 6" to 6-1/2" Measured it without the tool and all was well. Not sure if this helps but if its shifting Ok you should be alright.
Scott
Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Registered

thanks, I will measure this and see what comes up. Leaving in morning to go back to rig. Oilfield. See you on the tickfaw.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Went through identical procedure this summer - finally replaced outdrive side cable - shifted perfectly and easily afterwards. I'm betting the cable is stretched.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Scarab28. The cable should not need to be adjusted once set. If adjustment seems to be needed it is because something is going away. Very often it is the cable to the drive. You can inspect one problem spot where it attaches to the bellhousing with out any disassembly. If the outer cover is frayed it needs to be replaced.
Jim
Old 11-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Registered

Thanks, I will check this out.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Registered

You must use the cable adjusting tools that Mercury provides or you will have problems. You might also having excessive wear occurring because you tried adjusting without the tool.
If still have problems call me at 954 237 0332