Alpha Drive Leaking Oil >

Alpha Drive Leaking Oil

Notices

Alpha Drive Leaking Oil

Old 11-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha Drive Leaking Oil

I had a alpha drive replaced last fall with a new mercruiser. I found drive oil in the bilge so I pulled the drain and had water? I also found a small pin hole on the opposite side of the drain that is seeping oil?

Any ideas?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had a friend who's Alpha1 did something similar to that. For him it was a result of poorly installed seals. The drive would siphon water through the output shaft seal into the gearcase. His upper seal was bad too and so the drive would pump all of its lube into the gimbal assembly, leaving the drive full of water. Very bad stuff. As for the pinhole, that should just be a drain hole for the exhaust passage in the lower unit. Allows the water to purge out of the exhaust passage when the boat is removed from the water. If you have gear lube there, you may have other seals that are failing. This drive didn't freeze while it was full of water, did it? Nick
Old 11-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Registered

The pinhole opposite the drain is a drain for the shift cavity..generally oil in that area suggests that the shift shaft bushing has failed...it may also mean that the shift bushing is doing as it is supposed to it is the relief for pressure in the drive.... drive oil in the bilge isn't good genrally it means the bellows is full and it is coming in through the vent hole in the transom assembly.... check the yoke too as it may have a groove worn in it where the seal rides...
Old 11-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Registered

Sounds like maybe a pinion seal for the drive oil in the bellows. I would have all the seals checked or just replaced for that matter. Good luck.