Notices

TRS Tips & Tricks

Old 11-17-2007, 02:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TRS Tips & Tricks

It's been almost 20 years since I've owned a TRS boat and my guess is someone has learned some new tricks for keeping them alive.

This new boat has TRS on it and as I'm going through it, I'm wondering what I can do to help them live. If memory serves, the uppers were fairly bulletproof if not aboused. The lowers on the other hand had their issues.

Beyond non-pitted gears and proper setup, are there any new tricks?
Old 11-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
It's been almost 20 years since I've owned a TRS boat and my guess is someone has learned some new tricks for keeping them alive.

This new boat has TRS on it and as I'm going through it, I'm wondering what I can do to help them live. If memory serves, the uppers were fairly bulletproof if not aboused. The lowers on the other hand had their issues.

Beyond non-pitted gears and proper setup, are there any new tricks?
I think BAM marine has a coating or some process they put the gears through to make them stronger.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Registered

Yea the new trick is to replace the trs with Konrads,best trick in the book
Attached Thumbnails TRS Tips & Tricks-ebay-107.jpg   TRS Tips & Tricks-ebay-108.jpg  
Old 11-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MDGperformance
Yea the new trick is to replace the trs with Konrads,best trick in the book
Not funny.

The problem with the Konrad conversion is that the TRS boats are getting so cheap, that you can buy the boats for less than a set of Konrads.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:43 PM

"back when", we abused the hell out of TRS drives. If maintained properly, they were damn near unbreakable. Konrads are nice but they're no give-away. This is an interim boat anyway while I finish the re-rig on the Apache.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
I think BAM marine has a coating or some process they put the gears through to make them stronger.
Yeah, I saw that. Most likely it's a dry-film lubricant/surface treatment like M2SO4 or WSX and then cryo. We've done that for a long time and it does work well. Cheap too.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Yeah, I saw that. Most likely it's a dry-film lubricant/surface treatment like M2SO4 or WSX and then cryo. We've done that for a long time and it does work well. Cheap too.
I have no idea what you just said, but it sounds cool.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:11 PM

M2SO4 is ordinary Molybdenum disulfide- or simply "moly". It's blended into a base and applied via spray, then baked on. It builds a very slippery thin film of about 0.0001". WSX is tungsten disulfide. It's a very fine powder that can be infused into the surface of ferrous metals by burnishing. It's stronger and slipperier than moly but harder to apply. Another material is boron nitride which is the equivalent of ball bearings made of diamonds that lack brittleness. Basically the toughest, slipperiest stuff ever. It's bonded to an electroless nickel base that's process-applied. Haven't tried it on gears- but this may be a good time to try it.

You already know what cryo is.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Chris:
Tres Martin used to change all his customer's TRS oil to full synthetic Royal Purple. Made them more reliable.

It seems like any more prop than the Mirage series, (3-Blade), puts a strain on the drive that eventually finishes it off.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:38 PM

I've been hearing about Royal Purple from a pal who races BMW's. He swears by it. I'm going to try it.

Ed, you wouldn't believe the Cig. I know I said I was just going to tidy it up and run it. That didn't last. Within 24 hours of being back, the engine compartment was gutted and the transom stripped. The cockpit is stripped and off to upholstery. I'm going to strip the cabin tomorrow. I've already ordered a couple sets of JE's and a pair of BDS 8-71's for it.

Quick Reply: TRS Tips & Tricks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.