TRS Replacement options >

TRS Replacement options

Notices

TRS Replacement options

Old 11-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS Replacement options

For the past two seasons I have been "rebuilding" a 1988 Sonic 36ss. One of the last of its kind, hand laid "Heavy!!!" hull, about 9000+ lbs. I have completely Re-gelcoated the boat including "blueprinting" the bottom. Time to repower .
Much to my surprise the trs drives have held up to the blown 454's at approx 550-575 hp, but i'm looking at about 100+ hp increase for next year and I'm pretty sure thats gonna disinigrate them LOL. I've already talked to earl at huber to beef up the transmissions...and I know all about the Konrad drives...but it seems to me for the cost of a set of konrads, it opens up a world of other options and what I want is the most performance for the buck... I'm looking for any suggestions, and perhaps on how my boat might react to surface drives?? Thanks in advance

Last edited by Sonic36; 11-26-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Konrads don't have to be all that expensive. If your gimbals are good you can do a very simple bellhousing down conversion. Here is a Pantera we did. I don't think anything else will come close in price for this type of drive.

We can swap TRS to Konrads in hours. Any other conversion will burn many labor dollars.
Attached Thumbnails TRS Replacement options-tn_pantera-5.jpg  
Old 11-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Registered

You're right lofty, for all around drivability the Konrads are the way to go. I spoke with the Konrad guys at shooters a while back and priced it all out. But as far as the performance, I've gott'n a lot of mixed feedback. Yes they will out perform a trs, but what about #3,5 speedmasters or an arneson #6?? these are all equvilently priced options "within a few thousand"?? Yes it would be a lot easier just to bolt on the konrads to the trs gimble, But the engines and trans are already coming out, so changing the gimble isn't as scary of an idea to me. My problem is I don't have much knowledge in the drives dept, other than helping a lot of friends replace there blown up bravo's lol. The boat is nicely rigged and has a notched transom, so I guess I just digg'n for some input on other options.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll have to fill the notch to run a surface drive, that's a given. The Konrad will run faster than any SSM drive. Also, SSMIII's are getting a little hard to find parts for, the Konrad is still in production. As you said, changing the gimbal is no big deal, just more money and if the TRS is still good then why not save $3k?

One big item that is often overlooked is props. If you go with Konrads you can run readily available and inexpensive props. SSM and your looking at some money and you wont be able to borrow for testing as easily as you will with a standard prop.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Any number drive except for the 6 is going to have parts availability issues in time.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your application the konrad drive option is hands down the best and easiest way to go,no labor intense re-rigging,reliable and warranty to 800hp,affordable and easy to get props,you will be raising x-dimension aprox 1.5 or more with shortie,works better with modern day props,also in the old days(before konrad/trs replacement available)we converted some trs boats to 3 speedmasters always lost some speed,all of the trs boats we converted to konrads either were a little faster or about the same.As far as surface drives go boat needs a lot of rocker and light bow to work well,if not no bow lift loss of speed and handling.The surfacr drives work great on the right hull that has been tuned from the boat builder to work with them.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the feedback guys...Looks Like a set of konrads will be the way to go What about the ace package lofty..extention boxes so on, Good for my application?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Registered

Konrad conversion is the way to go least costly. We have
just done a 38 Cig. Take a look at it under Drives and Lower
Units, and Konrad conversion by Doller offshore Marine.
Have any questions or need some advice, call us at:
954 237 0332
Old 12-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sonic36,
The Ace set-up will allow you to move your engines back toward the transom. The simpleest coneversion is to just install the drives with or without the Konrad transom assembly. Heres a photo of our Sonic 386 with the Ace set-up that Doller Offshore did for me two year ago.
Attached Thumbnails TRS Replacement options-dscn2912-2-.jpg  
Old 12-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here's a larger photo.
Attached Thumbnails TRS Replacement options-dscn2911-3-.jpg  

Quick Reply: TRS Replacement options

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.