New Drive from Imco....

Notices

New Drive from Imco....

Old 01-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Drive from Imco....

Looks like Imco could have a winner on their hands. The new SCX drive looks like a new sheet of paper. There is an article in the new Powerboat and Hot boat mags..
I was told the upper has 5" gears and they are straight tooth, I assume similar to XR gears but larger.. The lower gears are larger also.

It is priced right and includes a new heavy gimble and helmet and propshaft hub for the 1 7/16" propshaft.
I am looking forward to offering this drive to some of my customers.. Hoping it is the answer to the next step of performance..
Thanks Imco for heading in the right direction..

Dick

Last edited by Mr Gadgets; 01-06-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:48 AM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How will this compair to Konrad ace or Merc nxt?
Old 01-06-2008, 11:50 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that article and that drive looks good. I wonder if the Cryo treat on the gears would help even more. I don't necessarily believe that size is the only factor in the gears, but how good the material is and what loads it can withstand. They said in the article that they have yet to break a drive , but have broken a few diesel motors !!!
Old 01-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Hard to say how it will compare to the others. I know by price is it a smidgen more than the SC, but includes a new gimble and helmet, so that puts it at almost half the price of the Konrad. And way way.. cheaper than the NXT. And no transmission to mess with. I am thinking B-max with finess, something that shifts and has larger lower gears. I was told that 750 ft/lbs is what it is rated for. But it all depends on boat weight and driver and torque curve of the motor. I was told there are some test boats that are running much more power, just dont have specifics on it..

I think cryo would help, but we have to see how it fairs out in real world, to see if we really need to go the extra step. I think the diesel test boat is loading it pretty good with 1.25 ratio and 34" prop.. thats quite a load. I can't imagine how long an XR would hold up to that..
Looking at the pieces and the info so far.. I am anxious to try one.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

I talked to Imco today and the helmet and prop hub come with it, but not the gimble. But I think it would be a good idea to upgrade the gimble at the same time..
Old 01-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I wonder why only 750 hp, people are already getting the bravos to live with 700 or less. The Extreme SC was rated to 800 hp....

I've heard some horror stories about the 1000 sc drive as well....
Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

The SC 1000 had some gear problems right off the bat. They made some changes in the gears and I dont think they have re-released it yet.
My thought is the 750 rating would be a point at which they could offer a warrantee. But that is speculation on my part. I find that it is very early in the evolution on this new one. So it may take a while. I think B-max went thru it's growing pains also.
I have had pretty good results with XR's over 700hp and up to 1400hp, but they dont last forever. The thing I like about this new drive, is the larger gears!! That is the weak point for the XR now and the lower gears for the B-max. If this SCX works.. it will be a reasonable cost replacement for the XR. Even if you add in the cost of the Imco Gimble (that I thought was included) you are at about $14k. That is close to what a B-max goes for, isnt it?
Time will tell. And they are not available as of yet. Still in the development stage. Look how long Merc tested the NXT before it became fact and we still cant get our hands on them.. And the one place that is selling the package wants $37.5k for that.
I have to give Imco credit for spending the time and money to develop a drive that could fill the bill between XR and NXT/#6. I just hope it is sucessfull...

Dick
Old 01-07-2008, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to see another option out there. Does it use a bravo transom assembly?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:01 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Yes it does, but the Helmet needs to be changed out.. Still dont have the particulars on if that Helmet fits the Merc gimble, but I suspect it does fit the Merc HP unit.. I will check with them again on that..
Dick
Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I haven't seen the article, what's the warranty on this new drive?

Can you purchase an extended warranty?

Quick Reply: New Drive from Imco....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.