Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
chinese aftermarket bravo one lower >

chinese aftermarket bravo one lower

Notices

chinese aftermarket bravo one lower

Old 01-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Grandfather was a Metallurgist and involved with the Steel Industry in the US for 75 years.

I remember in the '70's he visited some of the newer steel mills in Japan and elsewhere. This is about the time that the unions were pushing US, Bethlehem, Republic and others in a corner with more and more demands about wage equality and legacy benefits. My Grandfather said then that we were going to loose our steel industry to overseas firms and that when we did...we would loose the core of industrial manufacturing in the US.

Fast forward 40 years and ...By Damn...here we are. Our great industrial centers of 50 years ago...Pittsburgh, Allentown, Cleveland, Birmingham, Youngstown and last but not least.... Detroit, are ghost towns compared to what they once were.

Now we are buying metallurgically inferior steel from China that doesn't last 5 years in normal service..(I'm in the Fire Sprinkler Industry and doing re-pipe work on rusted out systems that are less than 10 years old) and we have no way to police what they do in their mills.

Gee ...I wonder why "forged" shafts in Bravo I drives snap in normal service? That's because they aren't forged!!! We have created a cottage industry in this country to repair/modify our own equipment to stand up to stress it was designed to withstand to begin with.

Short of protectionism...we need enforceable laws that protect our core industries from unfair competition or we need to relax the legislative grip that we are allowing to force American businesses out of business!!

Re-establish the US Steel industry to it's former dominance and we will begin to see a change.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by charliem
Can't put all the blame on the American companies. I am sure that us (americans) along with the USA government has made operating a manufacturing company inside of the USA a very easy task. Unions, EPA, Local rules and regulations, Tax burdons, eager sue happy lawyers........
I do agree with you, if your in the business to maker money, which all are, it does make sense to go overseas... Great for companies & wall street but, at some point it will take its tole on the US... I rarely speak up on issues and such..... but, to be honest, I dont know how to stop it... I truly don't think its one side or the other........ Its just the way this country has gone and what we think is acceptable as a society........
Old 01-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
The company I work for has a plant there now, even some medical devices are made in china. What we make are not life threatening, but still implants(dental). Not that I agree with manufacturing in China, but the quality you get from them is what you are willing to accept. In our case we have a VERY stringent quality organization, and refuse to accept crap, once they realized that, most of the product we are receiving from them is better than what we have made here for the last 20 years.
Another good one I just heard of was "GE Healthcare Moving X-Ray Division Out Of Waukesha"

Read more: http://www.wisn.com/money/28667254/d...#ixzz1kL7fxZNZ

I by no means have the Answers nor am I trying to beat a drum and such. Its just very sad to see.....
Old 01-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
I do agree with you, if your in the business to maker money, which all are, it does make sense to go overseas... Great for companies & wall street but, at some point it will take its tole on the US... I rarely speak up on issues and such..... but, to be honest, I dont know how to stop it... I truly don't think its one side or the other........ Its just the way this country has gone and what we think is acceptable as a society........
We can thank the politicians and labor unions for where we are.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Registered

but, to be honest, I dont know how to stop it.

Step one...stay educated on the issues and vote.

If one hundred million people vote the way we think...someone will know it.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
I knew it was only a matter of time,SEI is selling complete bravo lower ones for 895$ brand new,I wonder if the uppers will be next? From what I have seen/read on their alpha one replacement stuff,they don't have the best track record for durability. The only way they could manufacture all the components and assemble a lower unit THEN retail it so cheap is to have everything built in CHINA,Smitty
http://www.sterndrive.cc/Merchant2/m...ory_Code=121LU
As bad as it pains me to admit it...a member of this forum told me today that his marina has been selling the SEI Bravo I lowers for 3: years and has never had a complaint or a return.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
As bad as it pains me to admit it...a member of this forum told me today that his marina has been selling the SEI Bravo I lowers for 3: years and has never had a complaint or a return.
Can anyone tell me why SEI only seem to sell the B1 lower and not the upper?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rookie
I try to stay out of the political debates but....
I see a lot of chinese tooling. Some is bad and some is excellent. It all depends on the standard that you expect. It was a lot of trial and error on which chinese suppliers we use. We better wake up, because when I see posts of chinese crap and that their stuff is not as good as what we can produce state side, it is not a true statement. I wish it was that way and the lack of quality would drive the work back home, but it is a fallacy.

The only way I can see a majority of the work coming back is higher transportation fees, lowering companies cost to manufacture here, efficiencies in manufacturing, weaker dollar/stronger yuan and lower labor rates.

We need manufacturing jobs in the States to keep a strong middle class, without them I can only see the gap between the haves and have nots getting greater.

JMO
Right on, the only other thing I see going on is that the chinese are already starting to become americanized. With the amount of new factories being built over there(most in one area), there are plenty of job opportunities, and we are losing our best people to other companies. The company I work for OWNS the factory in China, so we DO have some control over the quality, at least for what comes to the U.S.(unfinished product), they also manufacture finished product for distribution in Asia. We also have a plant in Spain which manufactures for distribution in Europe which is our biggest sales area.

The main problem is that what we manufacture is not covered in the U.S. by insurance, and with the economy being the way it is, people are opting for less expensive procedures.

BTW(to keep this boating related), I run an SEI lower on my boat, and had one problem with the casting after 2 years of service(was porous, and gear oil was seeping through the case), SEI warrantied it(I had to pay shipping one way, they covered return shipping) and upgraded it to a newer style(LWP), changed all of the seals, and even gave me a new water pump while they were in there. It also appears that they gave me a new propshaft, but did not list it on the invoice. The reason I mention this is that I know through being on several boating forums, some have complained about 2 things on the SEI, one is the casting, the other is breaking the propshaft(the one I know about was on a high performance bass boat, and I believe he was surfacing the prop, but wont admit it), causing an expensive prop to go for a swim. It appears they do watch the issues, and change vendors as needed to produce a quality unit. So as far as SEI goes, I am happy with them on my average performance boat, but would not run them in an extreme high performance situation.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
We can thank the politicians and labor unions for where we are.
Special interest groups/lobiests have ruined this country.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by paul buckner
Can anyone tell me why SEI only seem to sell the B1 lower and not the upper?
Patents not up yet. In the works. (according to my friend who is a dealer)

Quick Reply: chinese aftermarket bravo one lower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.