Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Is there a FIX for this? >

Is there a FIX for this?

Notices

Is there a FIX for this?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Is there a FIX for this?

The sikd pad is gone and starting to hit the housing.
Is there a fix for this. The gimble ring is brand new so there is plenty of material on it.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Is there a FIX for this?-skidpad.jpg  
Old 04-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

The plastic parts are available from Merc. I got some a couple years ago from Midwest Perf Boats in Bellevue when I lost one on the Pantera. Mine was doing the same thing on one side as yours.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same problem..what causes that? In my case the gimbal housing etc is brand new.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually play in the transom assy.. not a good sign, causes it. Depending on how badly it is worn, you might consider a new uppper case. Or if you trust some one to weld it up. I broke one and ended up with closed head injuries! NOT GOOD!

That is an older case that doesnt have the plastic wear pads on it. You can cut the slot and drill the hole and add them. Measure the thickness of both sides to determine how much wear has occured and calculate your life expenctancy and go from there. I just dont like messing with it! A new upper is much cheaper than funeral.. Which is what almost happened in my case.

Hope this helps.
Dick
Old 04-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

The gimble ring that I replaced was so bad it could not be repaired. The lower swivel shaft bushing was gone from wear and created an oval hole. A new bushing would fall out.

Time to start a new thread and look for a new/used drive.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

That would be your safest bet!
Old 04-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
The gimble ring that I replaced was so bad it could not be repaired. The lower swivel shaft bushing was gone from wear and created an oval hole. A new bushing would fall out.

Time to start a new thread and look for a new/used drive.
I had the same problem as you. I replaced the gimble ring and I had a local shop weld the worn spot on the drive and reshape it with a grinder. The shop owner says he does this all the time and as long as the bushings are replace in the gimble ring there should be very little contact on this point of the drive. I think they charged me 75.00 per drive to weld,grind,and paint the area. A lot cheaper then a drive housing.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do not over look the helmut.
the pins oblong the holes aswell,
Old 04-29-2008, 02:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Usually play in the transom assy.. not a good sign, causes it. Depending on how badly it is worn, you might consider a new uppper case. Or if you trust some one to weld it up. I broke one and ended up with closed head injuries! NOT GOOD!

That is an older case that doesnt have the plastic wear pads on it. You can cut the slot and drill the hole and add them. Measure the thickness of both sides to determine how much wear has occured and calculate your life expenctancy and go from there. I just dont like messing with it! A new upper is much cheaper than funeral.. Which is what almost happened in my case.

Hope this helps.
Dick
Everything from soup to nuts was replaced. The only used part is the drive itself. Slightly bent piston? In my application it is the older style without the pads.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:07 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Cig,
the old ones without the wear pads would rub and wear away, nature of the beast. If it were a new one and the plastic broke and wore into the metal.. then I would look at loose components in the transom assy. If the wear isnt too bad you can add the plastic wear pads by cutting a slot and drilling a hole. Or upgrade to a newer drive.

BigJim, Cig
I do have access to a drive I built several years ago that was never run. Guy wants to sell it, all new upper with an older Imco lower.. Pm me if you are interested..

Dick

Quick Reply: Is there a FIX for this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.