Notices

Help Please! Looking for a U Joint Assembly

Old 07-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please! Looking for a U Joint Assembly

HI guys,

I am looking for part number 862129T3.

It is a 19" shaft U Joint assembly for my Bravo 1 XR Drive, starboard serial number OM133648.

I have IMCO extension boxes on my SONIC.

The part number may aslo be updated to 865425T02.

I have done loads of national checking today including Mercury Racing, no progress!!!!! Ouch.

Can anyone point me in the right direction????

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Mike
Old 07-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default part # ?

are you sure you have the right part #. I'm coming up with 862129A1 for your drive serial #. Found it in boatfix.com Sierra # 18-1709. $573.38. hope it helps. Can I ask, what happened to it.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Registered

Default Hi Bob (part no. 862129T3 or 865425T02)

Bob,

I have been losing drive oil. I changed the drive bottle located on the transom, that did not help. I had the drive pulled today as I am on vactaion and could see what they were doing. They indicated that this particular part would correct the situation. Merc Racing, will not be shippping this part to distibutors until 7/21/08. I would like to have it now, of course. It seems as though we can still run the boat but really watch the level in the starboard side drive bottle. After we run the boat, we have drive fluid in our bilge. We would really love to track one of these down! We are running twind 500 EFI's in our '02 Sonic 358. I have extension boxes so we need the part with the longer shaft whihc is part of this sealed u joint!!!!!!!

Can anyone assist????

Mike
Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Registered

Victory Marine In Texas Might Have Some Call Them 713-910-2000
Old 07-08-2008, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Marc at Bam. He stocks alot of inventory.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Mike,

I never did ask why you needed the u-joint assm. I cannot understand why you would need to replace it to fix a leak. Even if rusty (which would indicate another problem also) it should be possible to polish it & replace the seal.

It is more likley the seal/retainer has failed. Make sure they use the new style, PN 841026A2
Old 07-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Registered

Default Marc: this is why!!!!!!!

I have been losing drive oil. I changed the drive bottle located on the transom, that did not help. I had the drive pulled today as I am on vactaion and could see what they were doing. They indicated that this particular part would correct the situation. Merc Racing, will not be shippping this part to distibutors until 7/21/08. I would like to have it now, of course. It seems as though we can still run the boat but really watch the level in the starboard side drive bottle. After we run the boat, we have drive fluid in our bilge. We would really love to track one of these down! We are running twind 500 EFI's in our '02 Sonic 358. I have extension boxes so we need the part with the longer shaft which is part of this sealed u joint!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Registered

Default More info for Marc

Hi Marc,

I saw them pull the drive. Once pulled, drive oil came from the bellows. When I start the boat in the morning, I usually add some drive fluid. The boat runs fine and when I get to my destination, I check the oil again and it seems fine. Then, before we leave I check it and it is down. So, I add some more!!!!

Apparently this u joint is a sealed unit and they swear this part is the issue!!!!

As a lay person (healthcare CEO) I really don't have the mechanical knowledge and have to trust them.

Obvioulsy, this Sonic and the motors and drives are imperatnat to us and our "on water" investment so I want to fix it.

I hope this helps explain our situation.

TY for being interested.

Mike
Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Mike,

I understand, but there is a missing factoid here someplace. Sealed refers to the grease in the u joint bearing caps (#24), has nothing to do with sealing the oil in the drive.

It is very common for the seal to get pushed out on the early XR's (#28) and hit the yoke (#25). There is a new seal/retainer that prevents this (#26)

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...ift+Components

Why don't you read them this post and have them explain it to you?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,
I concur with Marc. The problem is generally the seal in the retainer. The old style does not have a lip and the pressure in the drive will push the seal forward. The more you run it the more damage to it and the larger the leak. There should be no real need to replace the entire input shaft. The seal rides on the surface of the input yoke. If it is damaged, there is a sleeve that can be pressed on, I did it several years ago to a yoke that had porosity and would leak. But that should not be the case in your situation.
And with the Imco standoff boxes, a new input shaft wont include the long Imco torsional shaft. Assuming you have the older style XR input shaft, a new one will not allow you to swap the Imco torsional shaft to the new style Merc input shaft. The ujoints are a different size in the new style input shaft.

Tell them to repace the retainer with the PN Marc suggested, and polish the seal surface on the yoke with 600grit paper.

Hope this helps.
Dick

Last edited by Mr Gadgets; 07-08-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Help Please! Looking for a U Joint Assembly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.