PLEASE HELP with these ram questions >

PLEASE HELP with these ram questions

Notices

PLEASE HELP with these ram questions

Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP with these ram questions

I am trying to understand if there is any cross compatibility of drive rams between the TRS, alpha, bravo, etc. The deal is I have TRS drives and one of my trim cylinders is leaking a bit around the shaft seal, I have struggled to take it apart but I am guessing all that lovely salt water has welded the endcaps to the tubes. I have searched fleabay high and low and have only found TRS cylinders that are as questionable as the ones I already have.
I find it hard to believe that the TRS rams are only compatible on the TRS drives and the same goes for other mercruiser drives. My part numbers are 87411 and 87412. Does anyone have any specifications for the drive rams that come on some of these other outdrive models. As long as the stroke is the same and the overall length of the cylinder is the same then I can modify the pins, etc to work with my drives. I don't even really care if the placement of the oil line connectors are different as I am rerouting all the lines anyway. Any information anyone can provide on these other ram models would be greatly appreciated. Maybe someone even knows of a cross reference chart or something.

Thanks in advance!
Jim
Old 07-31-2008, 07:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by daredevil
They are diffrent.
The stroke and the lifting strength is what matters.
I have a complette pair of TRS with Gimbals trannys and Bellhousings for cheap.
Just buy my set and sell what you dont need on e-bay.
You could actually make some $ on the set i got.

$ 4500 + shipping

PS the work and look great .
As much as that sounds like a good deal, right now I am just looking for ram's. Thanks anayway

I regards to them being different, I figured the were but I would be very surprised if none of the rams that mercruiser made for there other sterndrive lines were not compatible from a stroke and lbs. of force. It just does not seem cost effective from a manufacturing standpoint to always have a completely new ram design for every sterndrive model.

There has got to be some cross compatibility!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default rams

Originally Posted by 502ss
As much as that sounds like a good deal, right now I am just looking for ram's. Thanks anayway

I regards to them being different, I figured the were but I would be very surprised if none of the rams that mercruiser made for there other sterndrive lines were not compatible from a stroke and lbs. of force. It just does not seem cost effective from a manufacturing standpoint to always have a completely new ram design for every sterndrive model.

There has got to be some cross compatibility!
i think i have what you need and im only in hampstead nh
Old 07-31-2008, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trs

Yes the TRS was built long ago . Theres also the job security standpoint plus the build it cheaper,faster ,facter They probibly commisioned a different manufacture along the way to supply them cheaper.You can probibly cut the nut off the ram and just buy a new nut , thats what I did on mine. If you cant I have a new ram casing only I could sell if you cant find any other way.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastek
i think i have what you need and im only in hampstead nh
Hampstead, WOW, that's right next door! WHen you say you think you have what I need I am guessing you are reffering to some good shape TRS rams? Maybe we could hook up!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by redcorvetteman3
Yes the TRS was built long ago . Theres also the job security standpoint plus the build it cheaper,faster ,facter They probibly commisioned a different manufacture along the way to supply them cheaper.You can probibly cut the nut off the ram and just buy a new nut , thats what I did on mine. If you cant I have a new ram casing only I could sell if you cant find any other way.
Thanks Man! I am going to keep looking, and I'm gonna see what fastek has. I will keep you in mind though I also have a couple more tricks I want to try to get the cap off.

I do have a question about taking these apart though, I have a clymer sterndrive manual and the manual states the rod unscrews from the actual cylinder, I have turned the rod about 50 times in each direction and nothing, Am I mis reading the book or are they referring to a different TRS ram? my ram on the cap has 4 1/4 holes in the end for a spanner wrench I am assuming.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default trim rams

give me a call today on my cell 603 234 6363 i will ck on the rams i have that are very nice. i saved as spares for my own boat but no longer need we can double ck the measurements i think i also know your dad very well thanks Gordon
Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Registered

I am all set with rams, fastek hooked me up!

Thanks Gordon, It was good meeting you and hanging out for a while. When I get my scarab done maybe we can terrorize the merrimak!

Thanks Again!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trs trim ram

I have done some fairly extensive searching, on the web and in this forum, relative to TRS trim rams.
502SS had asked if there were any compatibility with other rams like Bravo or Alpha. I too, am wondering if there is any cross compatibility.
BAM is one of the few sites that show the cross section, of the ram, and parts identification.
I dropped my rams off at a hydraulic shop to freshen the internals
The "O" rings are easy to find. The scraper, for the center rod, seems very difficult to find. It is available in the quicksilver overhaul kit for $180.00.
Does anyone know of any other source for parts for these Rams?

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP with these ram questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.