sportmaster lower can't get out of forward >

sportmaster lower can't get out of forward

Notices

sportmaster lower can't get out of forward

Old 08-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sportmaster lower can't get out of forward

have a problem with my 225 promax with sportmaster lower.can't get it out of forward with the engine running.as soon as i shut the motor off it comes out of gear.no problem with reverse only forward.no grind noise,shifter just won't move.what could be wrong?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check linkage on engine under cowling on left side may be loose or hanging up. also check the bushing which centers the shift sahft in the adapter plate for wear.
if not could be the clutch dog on the forward gear, especially if your running big pitch.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check to make shure your shift switch is working. This is the switch thats on the bracket the cable end is connected to. It work kinda like a Alpa drive.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spinning 32" props.i checked all linkage with no problems.i will look for that switch.if it is the clutch dog can i run the boat?i think this will be my last weekend for the year
Old 08-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by awsomethunder
spinning 32" props.i checked all linkage with no problems.i will look for that switch.if it is the clutch dog can i run the boat?i think this will be my last weekend for the year
I agree with monstaaa about the forces on the clutch dog. When I ran a 28" with a lot of cup it was really hard to get out of forward. I was running a Bob's machine shop case w/1.87 ratio. I disabled the neutral start feature and would start the boat in gear. Docking was fun shutting of the boat putting it in reverse and starting again. It was easier on the case than slamming it into gear with a big wheel on it. You could try running it on the trailer, that would allow you to shift unloaded and see if that's it.
Jason
Old 08-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any of the big pitch outboards i set up , i bypassed the neutral safety switch with an over ride momentary button. this way you can shut the engine off , shift in to gear then start in gear to avoid prematurely hand grendeing the unit.
i would say if you have no big amounts of metalic or material in the oil or its not burnt then you should be able to finish the seasdon.