Notices

Trs

Old 09-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trs

Broke a drive at cumberland last week just tore down. Broken lower gears gears just ground up. The one on the prop shaft and the one right angle to it going up to the upper half. Can anyone tell me if this is the TRS weak link ? Thanks Dan
Old 09-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have described the driven gear and the pinion in the gear housing. TRS is a pretty good drive to 400 hp. I would say there is not really a weak link. If I had to name one I would call it the right hand rotation lower. Over all they were pretty good until overpowered.

Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 09-13-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

yes, I too broke a RH lower this season on my TRS. Have to be real gentle on them especially with a 40ft boat with 600HP. The day mine let go it was ROUGH water, and I was running hard. Other than that, they have held up fine.

Mel Riggs has new TRS lowers, complete drives, and parts to rebuild yours. I picked up a spare locally and slapped it on. Plan on sending my original to mel soon to get redone. I hear having them set up right is crucial on trs. Some have tried cyo treating the gears with good results.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Swap to Konrads and be done with it.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Registered

Yea the konrads are what im thinking about but want to compare X dim on what i got to know a little more if its going to help. Thats just to much money to go experimentig with!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The x goes up 1.66 inches. I switched in 04' and haven't had to think about my drives ever since. If you figure you're going to spend at least $4k/ year on drive repairs, never mind the aggravation and down time, it's $16k in repairs. Based on current TRS-Konrad conversion it's a push. Now if you take your TRS' and sell them you'll be ahead!

I know I'm not the sharpest guy but it seems to pencil to me. But then again, if you are planning on selling your boat anytime soon then it's not going to work for you.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Registered

Default Konrads

If im pushing 600 ft pds trq. now would Konrads be enough at 738 trq.?What if I build 598 or632s more like 880 to950 trq. What do I use then? And no one has any responce to my tripple eng. to double eng. theory about drag vs hp.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

If you have good mechanical ability with the right tools for measuring lash and preload, get the tools needed and build them yourself, my buddy does mine for me, he has done his on his 311 Formula for years... saves alot of money, we ran 600hp through them for 9 seasons with no failure, jet freshened every other season or so.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pair of fresh TRS/Speedmaster #2 drives available

I have a fresh pair of 0 hour SSMII drives available with props. These are the TRS Speedmasters with the vented upper and bullet lower, and surface props.

Asking $4500 for the pair, including props and shipping in the lower 48.

Let me know if anyone wants them. Built them for my 35' Cigarette, sold the boat before it was finished, I'm sick of looking at them collect dust on the shelf.

Harry
[email protected]
Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

If you're rebuilding the counter rotating TRS lower, solid shim the carrier instead of using a crush collar. If you're running a lot of power or in rough water, it pushes the gears apart slightly and compresses the collar leading to failure.

Just a suggestion!

Also, if you locked up the drive it's possible it damaged the oil pump in the transmission if you're running Borg Warners....

Quick Reply: Trs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.