BMAX parts and help >

BMAX parts and help

Notices

BMAX parts and help

Old 04-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RBeyer
How heavy is the boat? I am two years at over 700 HP and 727 TQ with no problems or signs of wear. they are HT's and i only weigh 4200lb dry. The weight may be a contributing factor.

12000 dry.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your prob running a 24p 4 blade? What speed?

Thats allot of stress on just 2 drives in that boat, Do they still make them with 2 bravos? Did the upper gear break or started wearing making metal?

Yours is a 1.30, I would think the 1.50 would help on the TQ multiples,I seem to remember Dean saying the 1.50 was weaker,Id ask him to make sure.

Did the shorties help?

boats
gas 1700 aroundabout
gear/beer 2-300
girls 110,one guy 180
14k mim-15k loaded?
wet

Generaly the sticking in gear slow/hard to go into gear is the shift ring on the gears [bronze looking]if not installed at a angle, worn flat, the ring is higher on one end making a ramp, the shift fork engages it take the clutch/gear and the ramp throws it up or down,making it ingage the clutch.Also the set up/staked height of the gear package being to short or long will affect the shifting, I hope I said this right

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Your prob running a 24p 4 blade? What speed?

Thats allot of stress on just 2 drives in that boat, Do they still make them with 2 bravos? Did the upper gear break or started wearing making metal?

Yours is a 1.30, I would think the 1.50 would help on the TQ multiples,I seem to remember Dean saying the 1.50 was weaker,Id ask him to make sure.

Did the shorties help?

boats
gas 1700 aroundabout
gear/beer 2-300
girls 110,one guy 180
14k mim-15k loaded?
wet

Generaly the sticking in gear slow/hard to go into gear is the shift ring on the gears [bronze looking]if not installed at a angle, worn flat, the ring is higher on one end making a ramp, the shift fork engages it take the clutch/gear and the ramp throws it up or down,making it ingage the clutch.Also the set up/staked height of the gear package being to short or long will affect the shifting, I hope I said this right

Rob
Wow, right on the money for prop size. 70-72 WOT and from all the figures i have done, you are about spot on for weight also. The reason for the sbd gear set was that the clutch was welded into the gear. RnRed that gear set and problems seem to have disappeared. Then this little deal happened. Maybe its just working out the kinks before we get to far into summer. Just never had these problems with bravos and XRs but they were behind fountains and 500hp power.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Wow, right on the money for prop size. 70-72 WOT and from all the figures i have done, you are about spot on for weight also. The reason for the sbd gear set was that the clutch was welded into the gear. RnRed that gear set and problems seem to have disappeared. Then this little deal happened. Maybe its just working out the kinks before we get to far into summer. Just never had these problems with bravos and XRs but they were behind fountains and 500hp power.
For what it's worth, I've seen the clutch get welded into the gears on regular bravo's. It can/will happen from shifting into gear at too high rpms and can also happen from jumping waves... It's rare but it can happen. Hopefully with your gearset fixed your problems will be behind you. fingers crossed!

The end of last season I blew an HT upper that had about 125 hrs on it with 830 hp/tq in my 36' Apache (10,500 lbs dry). The gear blew a few teeth and split the upper case in half. Cost me about $6K for the upper.

Season before that with 100 hrs since new I broke a vertical shaft coupler due to the lower vertical shaft bearing being worn. Dean fixed it and thew in new lower gearsets under warranty, even though I was a few months out of warranty, with no questions asked because I told him a few months earlier the one drive had some metal on the magnet.

I've learned that up-keep and maintenance on these drives are imperative and I'm now replacing all the bearings in the upper/lower every year. How many hours on the drives? It sounds like they might be a little tired and in need of a re-fresh.

Overall I'm much happier with the BMax than I was with the IMCO Bravo's, which decided to check out within 20 hours...
Old 04-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang All This Talk About These Makes Me Scared To Use Them On My Fountain.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
Copared to what? I still think it is the best Bravo bolt on available.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
12000 dry.
If I recall they are rated to 14000lbs. That loaded with fuel, fluids, gear and friends could put you over the threshold and be a partial cause of your problems.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Registered

I honestly think they are a great drive, i just need to get in them and make sure they are tight and running smooth. If i had the cash though, the boat would be on NXTs with a little bigger power. I spoke with the owner of Black Thunder and he told me that the new boats with NXTs are a night and day difference. Maybe someday i can have one.....lol
Old 04-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

konrad ace bravo replacement or there are twin konrad 540 deals for 15,000 everyonce in a while but you would have to buy boxes for trannys or move the motors 10''. some of my friends are using max machine worx drives with 700 to 850hp, but two drives rated for 800hp is the way to go and you get a deal on the refirn ones that were in the swap for 15,000 or the ace package that elite marine has for about the same price. I can't wait for mine to be done with the 1050hp smooth shifting. and then you got that NEW x drive if they figure out you need to sell them at 15,000 instead of 25,000. thats to high for just a drive. no box no steering no transom no tranny either at least konrad and arneson give you all that for about the same money.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not a big fan of IMCO due to the way they treated me when I had problems but what's the feedback on this SCX drive?

I looks like they took the same idea (bigger gears) as the BMax , took it one step further with the lower unit and built their own version.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.