Stronger LH or RH TRS >

Stronger LH or RH TRS

Notices

Stronger LH or RH TRS

Old 06-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stronger LH or RH TRS

Does anyone have a well educated answer and reason as to which is a stronger, more dependable drive TRS LH or RH ?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by daredevil
LH is stronger ,,since the prop shaft is counter rotating from the input shaft and the tourge is split in 2 directions.
The lowergears run infront of the downshaft ,,that is what makes it a LH drive so the bearings take less load at the bottom!

Hope this makes sense to you !?
Input shaft and prop shaft rotate in the same direction on a left hand drive.What difference would it make if the bearing had more load on the top or the bottom.Bearings have the same strength anywhere on the bearing 360 degrees.The gears on both LH and RH mesh at the top or above the prop shaft so the max load would be in the same place on either.

Last edited by picklenjim; 06-14-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Registered

I have the chance to buy a LH cheap but if their not as strong as a RH I am not going to mess with it.That's why I asked for a well educated answer and reason. Haven't gotten one yet!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've read its the RH is weaker in that the way the gears load the lower case while under power. The case stretches/fails and baby go boom.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The left hand TRS is stronger as the lower drive gear is located in the front of the gear case and supported better than the right hand unit that locates the gear in the bearing carrier. The bearing carrier has some movement so the gear pattern is not consistant.

I've blown up way more right hand TRS drives than the left.

Kurt
Old 06-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Registered

Good point Kurt.Thank you for your replay.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
The left hand TRS is stronger as the lower drive gear is located in the front of the gear case and supported better than the right hand unit that locates the gear in the bearing carrier. The bearing carrier has some movement so the gear pattern is not consistant.

I've blown up way more right hand TRS drives than the left.

Kurt
I agree with Kurt. I had the same issues on the TRS drives when I had my Scarab. I blew 2-3 RH lowers and 1 LH lower runnning 550 hp in 6-7 yr period.

The crush collar compresses under a lot of load and skews the gear lash. To help make the RH TRS stronger you would need to solid shim the carrier so it makes things a little more consistent/stable.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Registered

Thanks for the answers guys!I feel confident that the LH drives are probably stronger than the RH's.I've blown up right hands before but I never have owned a left beings I only have a single screw boat.Will a left make my boat handle any differently?Possibly list to starboard beings now it list to port when under a good load.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.