Notices

uneven drives

Old 06-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uneven drives

any suggestions for evening up a pair of bravo 1's that are 1/4 inch off from one another? my port side drive is mounted 1/4 inch higher on the transom, which I supsect is the reason for some handling issues.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PQ280SC
any suggestions for evening up a pair of bravo 1's that are 1/4 inch off from one another? my port side drive is mounted 1/4 inch higher on the transom, which I supsect is the reason for some handling issues.
WHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT ??????

PICTURES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unbelievable .
Old 06-22-2009, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Use a 1/4" drive spacer on one side.

What kind of handling issues is this creating?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Registered

under certain circumstances either the deeper drive (stb) seems to hookup better or the more shallow drive (port) looses bite and the boat would violently pitch port side high. That was with the props spinning in. I swapped the props which seems to help, but now she tends to porpoise. I've installed larger tabs, and will be playing with the center of gravity a bit to see if I can settle it back down.

Where can I get a 1/4" B1 drive spacer? I have only seen 1/2"
Old 06-24-2009, 07:39 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think something else very weird is going on. I don't think a quarter inch difference is going to cause that much of a handling problem. I would try a different set of props and see if the problem persists. If so, I'm pulling the drives and transom assy's and remounting them. Before tightening them up real good I think I could perswade one to move up an 1/8" and the other down an 1/8". I could also make a 1/4" spacer out of some aluminum plate but how rigged to you want to go? Have you checked the condition of your hubs? Just my 2 cts!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Banned

I still would love to see some pictures !!!!!!!!!

I have never seen that on any boat before ,,what boat who rigged it ???? CRAZY
Old 06-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default drives

Don't think a 1/4 of a inch will do THAT.If the weight was more on one side than the other would almost be the same effect.But 1/4 don't think you would ever notice it.I think you have a prop issue. Props will do crazy things.I got fishing line around my once and made it blow out. My 2 cents JOHN
Old 06-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Registered

The boat is a 280 PowerQuest Sun Cruiser. Twin 350's, a large swim platform and an arch make it very stern heavy for a 28 footer. I haven't gotten the boat up on straps, but I think the CG is too far back.

BBlades has done some work on my props in the past to improve bow lift, hole shot, and top end, which worked great with the props spinning in, until the erractic handling starts. My problem with the props spinning out is porpoising, which would indicate I need more bow lift. The thing that doesn't make sense is how any additional weight in the boat ( could be three people or even carrying 1/2 tank of fuel) makes the porpoising worse. My understanding is that additional weight should make the boat porpoise less. I'm currently running Mirage+ 21's and run 61 - 63. I tried 21 Rev 4's last summer, and it seemed to make the porposing worse, but I was carrying a "heavy load" (80 gals of fuel, and 6 people).

My current thinking is that I should fix the fundamental issues like the uneven drives and verify the CG before testing props again. I do plan on running the Rev 4's again, and will post the results. Anyone have other suggestions?