Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Anyone moved from a dual prop to a performance single set-up?? >

Anyone moved from a dual prop to a performance single set-up??

Notices

Anyone moved from a dual prop to a performance single set-up??

Old 07-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaRay Jim
If I may be so frank, I think it goes way beyond Mad Hatter.
Just a bit....but your story encouraged me so you should feel partially to blame.....LOL

Seriously....If I could end up where you did (requiring 200 more HP to do so with a heavier, larger boat) I would be thrilled. Seems you got just the results I was looking for....much faster cruising speeds and a respectable top end charge to flaunt on occasion.

What did your boat cruise at previously at similar RPM's you cruise now and what was your former WOT numbers. Would love more specifics on where you were and what your accomplishing with the new set-up.

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
Since you cant seem to be talked out of it I say
just do it and take lots of pictures and keep us updated on the progress. Good Luck!
Yes....good advice and that about sums it up! I will definately share all I can with you guys during the course of the projects....all the pitfalls and hopefully all the glory when the smoke clears.

The plan is shaping up to include and feature the new Konrad 560 dual prop drive (my application seems perfect for that drive set-up) and potentially using a modified powerglide as a trans....may even keep the low speed functional to make it less touchy with the aggressive props at low speeds around the docks. Just breathing on the throttle a bit too much in top gear could put the boat into the dock too hard or worse.

Going to set the engine forward to accomodate this....with a heavy 28' boat the consensus is the slight move forward in CG wont be too much to worry about. Considering the engine, trans, beefier outdrive set-up will be heavier which would move the CG further back (if we didnt relocate anything), the move forward will offset some of that. When the smoke clears it will only likely represent a small move forward from the stock position but with alot of prop and alot of power the boat should be able to maintain a good attitude and keep the nose out of the water.

More to come.....but this is the plan that looks to be set in motion

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Maxumus; 07-10-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr Gadgets,
I'm interested in talking or IM to your friend who did the Bmax with Blackhawk lower. That could solve my problem.
Thanks, Jim