Notices

Konrad Drives

Old 07-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DareDevil
Why don't u post a picture of both internals ,,,so we can see how Konrad came up with there own design and MUCH better parts ?!

TRS/KONRAD is the same thing,,,,,just a newer housing and look.
SLOW & OUT DATED !!!! The SSM drives #3,4,3'a and 5 maybe out dated ,,,but still better and stronger then a konrad.
The nice thing about a konrad is if u have/had a TRS its a perfect fit replacement,,,,altough i think its cheaper and better to replace with a XR or IMCO !!!!!!
If u have a SSM its the best to leave it.
So how did they come up with the HP rating #'s ???????
Show us !!!!!!!!!!
I never said its a bad drive,,,i just said its crazy money for what u get !!!

If u like them .....fine , more power to u !!
But a used Konrad is what 10 K ????? I can get 2 # 5's or ~8 TRS or 4 XR's for that + with XR's i garantie u the boat is ~10MPH faster and about 400 pounds lighter in the stern !,,,see my point !!!
And thats used !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U know ,,,i run 806 DYNOED HP in my boat ,with a tranny on a #4 big shaft.
How about we do a test ?????? U give me a Konrad with all the bells and wisles, and after i showed u that i slowed the boat down ~ 6-8 MPH and after i blew it up (racing like i do now ) i give it back to u and then we talk.
And please don't tell me i have 6 HP to much !?
I will take Dollars word for it thanks. They loved the 3a to Konrad conversion and said it was a huge success, as did a person earlier in the thread that actually did it. But hey what do they know, certainly not as much as you, some one who has obviously never seen the drive or knows what is in it..
Old 07-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I will get them next time I have time. I am not saying stronger but you indicate the same strength they according to you are both rated for 800 hp! Bearings are way larger, shafts all larger, case is thicker and more ridged, better oiling system, larger universals, better transom assembly......

Like I said of the many many many drives that they have sold they have very few failures. I have seen Kurt run his to the matt for LONG stretches in rough water and he is running 750 hp and has never blown a drive. There are aplications out there with well over 1000hp hooked up to these things. I know of a new aplications from a board memeber that will be almost 1300hp, it will be interesting to see how it goes with that. There are peole blowing up #3's, #4's and even #6 drives all the time, does that make them bad drives? How often has Mercury offered to come and drive your boat to help set it up? Konrad went to this guys house and helped him out with his boat, seems like very good customer service to me.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pictures?

I have pictures...
Attached Thumbnails Konrad Drives-gears2.jpg   Konrad Drives-shafts-gears.jpg   Konrad Drives-shafts-gears2.jpg  

Konrad Drives-shaft2-sm.jpg   Konrad Drives-upper-gears-sm.jpg  
Old 07-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Registered

Default Proof?

I have proof, too.

These are MY gears. They were removed from my drives after 4 seasons of beating the daylights out of them, all tolled 200+ hours of constant abuse.

That "light" raceboat of mine isn't what it appears. Dangling on a crane, the scales show her weighing in at 9,300 lbs. And, yes, that's AFTER I removed all of the cabin/interior down below. Light is certainly not a word I would use to describe the 10-Meter Fountain of Youth.

In 5 seasons of racing with these drives, I had one "failure", if you could call it that. I came down sideways off a 8 foot wave in Ocean City, and snapped off a lower unit at the studs. Now mind you, this was the very next race after spinning her around backwards in Key West, so those studs might have been stressed a bit. But ask someone who was at the races that day about what happened to a fellow P4 competitor and his Bravos, he came back after the race with one of them hanging from a tiebar.

I have, and will continue to beat these drives mercilessly. I'm running a pair 750hp dry-sump SuperCat motors, with tq numbers in the mid-600's from 3000 thru 6500. If anyone is a crash-test dummy for these things, it's me. They just take it. 1500hp at WOT for 45 minutes in a 9300 lb resin bucket (in ANY conditions) should be proof enough for you.

JoeTool, I don't know what went wrong with your setup, but something isn't adding up. And what further doesn't compute, is the bashing you're giving the great folks at Konrad. These people have bent over backwards for me, and I've personally witnessed them doing the same for dozens of other customers.

Konrad's products, and the Team are first class.

Sincerely,
Brian Bunch

P.S. 520, 540, Ace, PRS... they're all the same stuff, just configured differently. Saying one is good and the other isn't doesn't make a lick of sense.

Gotta go. Time to go beat them up on a Poker Run.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Registered

Thanks Brian, i learned something ..see?!
But still i would like to see the same parts from a TRS next to yours !

Any how ,,,stay safe and i may see u up north.
Scott
Maybe this will help...

If you're coming to St. Clair, stop by the Konrad Marine/Scorpion Racing Engines tent and check out the Fountain of Youth's hardware up close. Sorry, I don't think you'll see any TRS's on display, or even on a race boat, anywhere for comparision.

But I'll buy you a beer anyway.

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails Konrad Drives-yoke-540.jpg   Konrad Drives-yoke-trs.jpg  
Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Registered

Default the pictures in p4-33's post

Originally Posted by p4-33
I have pictures...

By those top 3 Pictures, the Konrad appears to use Bravo lower gears....
Old 07-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Registered

The reason I'm as you say bashing Konrad is the fact that there drives can't handle the hp. They repaired my one drive this week and installing it tomorrow, the turn around time was excellent and I'm thankful for that. The real question is how is the other drive going hold up???? They told me that they don't know why it broke which leaves me wondering about the other one??????????????? wouldn't you? I'll keep you all posted on it.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by SpeedMaster
They make their own I beleive.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedMaster
Just similar in overall design,I have seen them on display at the st claire races,talked to kurt from konrad and Brian p4-33 and I work on my own Bravo lowers,the bravo gears are considerably smaller,Smitty
Old 07-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Thanks Brian, i learned something ..see?!
But still i would like to see the same parts from a TRS next to yours !

Any how ,,,stay safe and i may see u up north.
Scott
Scott what makes me so pissed about your statements is you make them as a factual statement when you have obviously never seen the drive! You don't know that the Konrad has MASSIVE bearings and larger shafts and they have address most of the issues with the TRS. It is far from the same drive and the Konrad is almost 2" shorter. Don't speak as though you are an expert on a drive when you don't have a clue what you are talking about!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.