Bravo 1 to XR or better conversion >

Bravo 1 to XR or better conversion

Notices

Bravo 1 to XR or better conversion

Old 07-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo 1 to XR or better conversion

Ok still learning the boat stuff, so be gentle.

I will be (in the future) changing my drives. I have regular Bravos, but will definitely need something that can hold more power and I assume an XR will hold what I need, but I am open to suggestions. Motors make a little over 700hp each.

So here's my question: What all will I need to change?

Drives.... yes.
Gimbles..?
Steering..?
bellhousings...?
couplers....?

I have dual steering to the helm. But will it work with the other drives? It's these type questions I have. I want to start buying stuff slowly, so maybe by the beginning of next year I can change it all out.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Registered

Default RE:Bravo 1 to XR or better conversion

I will also be upgrading, but I don't know everything. What I do know is that if you have the 'non-current' bravo I and are going for the 'new' XR the u-joints are not the same size. You will need a red dot gimbal conversion kit - $80. I do not know if the trim and power steering are going to match up?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Registered

So no one else has done this??
Old 07-22-2009, 10:16 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have std Bravos now, XR's will bolt up to the Bravo gimbles, however there are 2 style Bravo 1 gimbles, std. and HP gimbles used on the XR's from Mercruiser. Heavier units. Aftermarket drives are available for Bravo replacements but are pricy. 10-20K for a used pair that will bolt to the Bravo gimbles. These are also available with matching gimbles for more big bucks. What do you mean dual steering to the helm? I assume you mean external dual cylnder steering to the helm, full hyd system is what you mean. This will work with the XR's with no additional parts but if you go with aftermarket the cylnders might not match up with the new drive plates. All your other parts, bell housings, couplers, ect will work however you should replace the couplers with the high performance units. The XR's are your cheapest way to go for sure but with twin 700 hp engines your pushing it. Since you didn't say what boat this is in, no matter what yoou'll need to take it easy on the hole shots and acceleration, or you'll be needing sea tow real soon. High hp reaks havoc on drives and parts in general.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm with Jeff on this.

I have a collection of junk XR parts.

I never had a drive problem til I got a boat with
XR's.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Registered

REALLY? So it would be better to just do some aftermarket gears, etc in the bravos? I like the sound of this. So who does the best beefing of these things? And what is the approximate cost?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do an upgrade conversion using the X gears and install a steel tower in the case and use the XR ribbed top cap, that is a very good drive when it is done. The lower is still the small shaft B1, but that can be upgraded also. If the lower gears are worn that is a good time to go to the XR propshaft kit..

Hope this helps..

Pm me if you have any ??

Dick
Old 07-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
I do an upgrade conversion using the X gears and install a steel tower in the case and use the XR ribbed top cap, that is a very good drive when it is done. The lower is still the small shaft B1, but that can be upgraded also. If the lower gears are worn that is a good time to go to the XR propshaft kit..

Hope this helps..

Pm me if you have any ??

Dick
Thanks Dick. I was going to ask how to get in touch, but I'll just send you a PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dick, My Bravo Gimbal conversion is coming along quite nicely. It will house the Max Worx SS gimbal ring and the Merc HP gimbal helmet. It will have the electric trim sender unit too. I will send along pics when finished. This gimbal unit and a "Mr.Gadgets" Bravo Drive would make a solid package.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets

Hope this helps..

Pm me if you have any ??

Dick
Hey Dick I know this is an old post but I have a question about a boat that I'm looking at. It's a 1996 advantage sports cat originally came with a Merc 525 blown motor with XR drive. The guy blew up the motor and the boat's been sitting for a couple years but is in really good condition. My question to you would be, is it possible to buy the components to retrofit a 454 built blown motor into it? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.