New Drive - Popping out of gear in forward and no reverse >

New Drive - Popping out of gear in forward and no reverse

Notices

New Drive - Popping out of gear in forward and no reverse

Old 08-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The + - is the timing marks on the brass rings, they need to be opposite each other.. + on top and - on the bottom or other way around..
If the thrust bearings are .125" thick you have the new X gears.
The gear stack is compressed a certain amount when the top cap is in place.. It is all loose when the top cap isnt on..

Magnets should only have fuzz on them after several hours of run time.. NO flakes or chunks!! If there are F or C.. then something it Wrong!! Get it looked at...
By fuzz I mean smears like pencil lead, but you cant feel anything between thumb and finger.. Some times Merc will put them together and leave shavings in there. I have seen a new drive missing thrust bearings.. and it came directly from Merc!!

I would pull the drive off the boat and turn the input shaft with the back cover off (top cap on).. You can see what it is happening.. It should snap into fwd or rev.. if it doesnt, then it something may be in the gears where the cone is..
Time to disect it, if you dont have the tools, take it to someone who does. and have them pull the gear stack out and check it..

Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 08-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also there is more than one size garter spring dia, if you have up dated gears the spring should be orange or red looking.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all.

+ and - were opposite each other.

springs were a reddish orange

Got the drive off and apart. Immediately noticed there is no compression with the top cap, literally fell off. Sure enough looking at the gear/clutch pack there is play in it not to mention the overall height of the unit seems short (when compared to a good unit).

Putting the known good 1.5 unit in the case it is evident there is some compression as the top cap goes on. This does not happen with the 1.36 - everything is loose.

Was there a different clutch assembly for a 1.36 ratio? The clutch kit appears the same height as the 1.5 (approx 1 3/4"). Appears if there is say a 2" clutch kit then my issues would be solved.

Looks like I need clutch PN 52-861-781A 1 according to merc for a 1.36 unit.

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 08-26-2009 at 01:45 PM.