Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
-2 XR Sportmaster on a Stingray >

-2 XR Sportmaster on a Stingray

Notices

-2 XR Sportmaster on a Stingray

Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, with the prop now at 5.25" below the boat due the to -2 shorty, I have so gone from 68.7 to 70.5gps on a quick pass with the 21p Rev 4. It was getting dark and was starting to rain. RPMs increased from 55-5600 to a little over 6000, so the slip went from about 7% to 12%. At this point I think I need to start moving weight around in the boat since it still want to chine want at 70. I think that is my big hold back at this point.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Try a 24 pitch Bravo. You are probably to high for a Mirage 3 blade. Sounds like it helped, even with the slip numbers going up you still gained 2MPH.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Registered

I would like to get my hands on a 22p Bravo1, but I don't think that will happen this year. If I can pull 5900 RPM with a 22p I would think I could run a 58-5900 with a labbed 24p.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Mirage plus will get you the best top speed. And will be fine with your drive height. It will walk a little if overtrimmed. But noting you cant handle, it does not get much more than a little aired out. you will find the Stingray will want some overtrim for best speed. At you speed dont worry about the slight walk, just trim in a little if it scares you. I have Stingrays customers running almost 90. Over 85 it gets wild, under that its fine. but use the Marage if you want speed, the bravo 1 is solid but to get any speed you need to really overtrim the bravo 1 on the Stingrays and still its much slower that the Mirage plus. You will find it likes bow lift hence the Mirage plus...

Don
Glen Harbor Marina
Old 10-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Registered

Well I'm going to try my 21p Mirage + here in a little bit and then my 23p Tempest+. They both ran the same speed (borrowed 21 Tempest) at the stock height and if they do the same with the -2 I would probably run the Tempest since it keeps the rear planted better and I don't need to over trim. The mirage did need overtrim, but the mirage planed better, most likely due the the slightly larger diameter and the full blade lifting the stern.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Registered

One more thing Don, my side to side rocking, do you think that has to do wih to much weight on the driver side i.e battery in back or do you think it has more to do with the 200lbs removed from the transom with all the aluminum? I think trim tabs will help the rocking since I don't have chine to help control that, but would I be better off mounting them flat to the water or parallel to the bottom of the V?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ACrooks69
One more thing Don, my side to side rocking, do you think that has to do wih to much weight on the driver side i.e battery in back or do you think it has more to do with the 200lbs removed from the transom with all the aluminum? I think trim tabs will help the rocking since I don't have chine to help control that, but would I be better off mounting them flat to the water or parallel to the bottom of the V?
All the above, the trans is lighter the boat is faster and less of the boat is in the water. It is not bad is it? On all the stingrays I ran none were bad under 85MPH. Just slight walk if any at all. The tabs hurt top end. Nice in rough water but for speed a waste of $$ on the Stingrays. Try a Mirage plus, it gets the bow up and the trans down. The bravo will lift more in the transon, not what you want.
Good luck

Don
Old 10-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Registered

Well I tried the 21p Mirage+ and the 23p Tempest+. Could not get the boat to plane with the tempest, kept on blowing out as the bow would start to come down. Kind of weird, but I wonder if the lack of a ventilation plate on the XR is hurting me. I thought I heard something about that on another application, but maybe I mis-understood what they were referring to.

You say the Mirage would do a better job getting the bow up and the transom not so much, I would have to say that is the opposite of what it is doing. The boat is very loose and you have to over trim it to get the bow all the way up. I would say that lifts the transom and a little at the bow (the way I've been told by BBlades and Hydromotive). I did get the best speed out of the Mirage of 71.2 MPH at a little over 6000rpm, so I'm thinking a 23p might be a better prop to be trying.

Another thing worth mentioning is the horrible cornering I am getting with all of the props I have tried. Again I think this may have something to do with the anti ventilation plate (step in or correct me if I am wrong here) My drive 5.25 below the boat so I have a hard time believing it is purely to shallow. Any other ideas? Hydro QIV-X?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Registered

i was compairing the Mirage to the Bravo 1 in my e-mail. Saying the Mirage will lift the bow and plant the transom much more than the Bravo 1. I guarantee the Mirage will be the fastest and best overall prop for that boat...
What kind of courning issues are you having? Maybe some blowout in sharp turns?
I have done a ton of Stingrays I have been a Stingray dealer for 15 years, we are on a lake. I run them everyday. In my opinion you need to ask Brett @ BBLades dial you in a Mirage 23-25. I dont know the RPM range you are looking for. but that is my advise.
I ran a ITS, a XR, a BMax, you name it. We had Ilmore's, BBC, smallbloks you name it. The same prop worked best on all of them. The Mirage Plus... the Bravo 1 handled a little better but was much slower. I would have to run your boat to be 100% but they all walked a litttle over 70 and blew out in really hard turns. They are a great pocket racer, and very fast.
Good luck
Don
Glen Harbor Marina
Old 10-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Registered

Don, thanks for all your input. The blowout was in minor turns with the Rev 4. The Mirage handled it much better, but would also loose grip in light turns at lower speed. Is there any merit to installing the splash guard as it will extend what has now become the cavitation / ventilation plate? P/N:842825T01

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.