Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
broken bravo xr  both top gears sheared. >

broken bravo xr both top gears sheared.

Notices

broken bravo xr both top gears sheared.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken bravo xr both top gears sheared.

both gears sheared .the horizotal and vertical.

should i go with imco or oem xr or worx .

good shop in florida.

There is a guy called brian in ftlauderdale any one know him.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just find the best deal on these gears you can.

The only manufacturer is Mercury.

Chris
Old 09-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOTION35

good shop in florida.

I have had good luck with the Imco's on my Warlock but I still have had to replace some gears. If you are running significantly over 500hp I would just get the least expensive/most available drives because your still gonna break them. IMO
Old 09-09-2009, 06:09 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I am running 700 HP in a single engine Checkmate. I dont run it easy, in fact I run hard. I have had great luck with my drive. I learned ( with some help from Mr Gadgets ) how to set them up properly, myself. I am using gears that have been treated with a process he sends them out for. The results have been great. Last spring I set up a B-Max lower, which uses Mercury gears. The guy is running crazy power, well over 1000 hp. He was getting 10 hrs on the lowers. After the treating and proper set up, he has 40 hrs on them. He broke the drive last week. We were both thinking the gears let go. After tearing down, the gears were fine, the vertical shaft broke!
For the best gear life, my advise is to get a set of gears treated and properly set up.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Registered

I can help you out right away. From what you are saying it sounds repairable. But you never know untill it is taken apart and inspected. I more than likely have all the parts in stock. I've been doing all drives for over 30 years now. Worked for Mercury at one time. Call me at: 954 237 0332 I can fit you in immediately.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Vinny P
I am running 700 HP in a single engine Checkmate. I dont run it easy, in fact I run hard. I have had great luck with my drive. I learned ( with some help from Mr Gadgets ) how to set them up properly, myself. I am using gears that have been treated with a process he sends them out for. The results have been great. Last spring I set up a B-Max lower, which uses Mercury gears. The guy is running crazy power, well over 1000 hp. He was getting 10 hrs on the lowers. After the treating and proper set up, he has 40 hrs on them. He broke the drive last week. We were both thinking the gears let go. After tearing down, the gears were fine, the vertical shaft broke!
For the best gear life, my advise is to get a set of gears treated and properly set up.
Thats getting expensive. I have a friend who spent about 40 k on drives in two seasons. Ouch
Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MOTION35

good shop in florida.

If that Brian has a 1000hp pantera, I know him.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

From what I hear and have seen,the newest xr upper gears are just inferior junk. You can cryo and polish them which will help them from scallop and pitting but when it comes to teeth blowing off them it will make litlle difference, they either catastrophically failed due to poor quality control during manufacture (on top of the fact they were probably over-powered or shocked) or drive was set-up wrong/had another failure causing the gear destruction. Imco and mmwx do not have there own upper gears,they are just stock mercs,mmwx now cryo's and polishes there gears like I started doing 3 or 4 years ago,Smitty