Bravo I has no forward >

Bravo I has no forward

Notices

Bravo I has no forward

Old 09-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bravo I has no forward

I have reverse and neutral and the prop locks up in the right direction when its in reverse but wont go into forward. I checked the linkage and everything seems to be fine and i checked all the cables on the boat. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Greek,
Did you pull the back cap and watch the shift linkage turn the cam on the shift fork. Also the input shaft has to be turning in order for a Bravo to shift properly.
With a right hand prop, the cable pushes the linkage to rotate the cam on the shift for forcing the cone to go down into the lower gear. The rotation of the upper clutch shaft forces the cone into the gear and you should have engagement and forward motion.
If for some reason the cone can not go all the way in (debris stuck in the way).. or something else.. that would cause it to not shift. Easiest way is drain the drive some and pull the back cap and see what is going on.. Pull the kill cord and spin the motor. Careful it may stick in gear and not let you return to neutral, because of the neutral safety switch..

Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 09-15-2009, 02:29 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I had the same thing happen and it was the shift linkage that Mr G described. It gets corroded and worn. There is a good chance if its never been replaced, that it is bad. I replaced one 2 years ago and the other this year and my boat is a 1997.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You say that you checked the cables. Did you remove the cable that goes from the drive up to the shift bracket by the engine?
I had the engine coupler rub a hole in the cable and the drive would go into gear in one direction but not the other.
with a hole in the outer sheath the inner wire pushes out the hole instead of pushing on the shift linkage.