Notices

Arneson or SCX

Old 10-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jassman
The Arnesons are the real deal...they work..and will handle way more power than any bravo drive. Ive been on 4 Arneson boats in which Ive driven 3..and owned one. Hands down my favorite. Simplistic in design, reduced drag, increased speeds, easy to work on, and in-expensive in comparison. Boating is suppose to be fun, why worry about breaking down.. Jeff
Exactly. There are enough things to worry about in performance boating. With Arnesons, you basically forget about the drives. They do not break. I have never heard of anyone breaking an Arneson. In fact, there are stories of a guy local to me that ran his big cat for a short period of time with no oil in the drives ( by mistake ) with no issues.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am comfortable with the Arnesons as far as durability and speed increase. My only reservation is how are they going to handle @ 110+ in a light single V bottom? Seems like I might be going into slightly uncharted territory....
Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DonRoc
I am comfortable with the Arnesons as far as durability and speed increase. My only reservation is how are they going to handle @ 110+ in a light single V bottom? Seems like I might be going into slightly uncharted territory....
Im still trying to get all the facts for you..
Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Registered

I am hearing some people took off ther arnesons due to handling issues they could not resolve. Let me know when you get some facts on a smaller light V.
Jeff,
Thanks for lookig into it for me.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Registered

I am hearing some people took off ther arnesons due to handling issues they could not resolve. Let me know when you get some facts on a smaller light V.
Jeff,
A friend of mine tried a arneson on a Bat 28 (Vector in the us) He was running ssm v before .but to many drives went fishing so he got fed up with the ssm v. However he tried so many things with the Arneson and LOT of different props ! And i can say he is not running it any more ! The boat was not fun to drive in high speeds ! It "overplaned" what ever he tried ! And he is a very experienced racedriver with like 30+ years of offshoreracing in sweden .I think your boat are to small for a Arneson-setup.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Registered

I am hearing that alot. but you are the first to post it. Thanks. The arneson sounds great on paper but the risk is too high. I really would love to give it a try. But so far not one person with a light single has come forward with a sucess story. I have all winter to decied but looks like it will be an SCX. Maybe by then they will have a -3 SCX
Old 10-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alfons
A friend of mine tried a arneson on a Bat 28 (Vector in the us) He was running ssm v before .but to many drives went fishing so he got fed up with the ssm v. However he tried so many things with the Arneson and LOT of different props ! And i can say he is not running it any more ! The boat was not fun to drive in high speeds ! It "overplaned" what ever he tried ! And he is a very experienced racedriver with like 30+ years of offshoreracing in sweden .I think your boat are to small for a Arneson-setup.
Alfons, you have neglected to mention that when Christopher blew his Mercury he landed on the rocks damaging the bottom. Subsequent repairs did not put the bottom back to it's "Original" state as the boat does not perform with a Mercury either now as he has even put a standoff box on the #6 on a 28' boat and still needs bow lift. But you are right, it was all the Arnesons fault not the bottom repair.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Jeff,

talked with a few people... besides Pat and Rik. boat was running 83mph with approx 620hp on a Ford motor. appr. 80 hours to date. No handling issues.. and three you tube videos out there that I could find. As to the weight, this 28 is a larger, deep all running surface 28' boat, she's also very stable and heavy. Good Luck. Jeff
Old 10-09-2009, 03:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
Alfons, you have neglected to mention that when Christopher blew his Mercury he landed on the rocks damaging the bottom. Subsequent repairs did not put the bottom back to it's "Original" state as the boat does not perform with a Mercury either now as he has even put a standoff box on the #6 on a 28' boat and still needs bow lift. But you are right, it was all the Arnesons fault not the bottom repair.
The damage to the hull wasnt that big ! I was there !! Dont get me wrong here Rik ! I think Arneson an other surface drives are great ! But with a small stephull like the Bat you have almost a fixed runningangle tru the water ! And therefore i think the Arn. lift the stern to much. The drive isnt the problem the boat is to short !! Now when Christer is driving with double ext. box The boat runs great in a straight line , But in turn it looks scaary ! The best drive for the bat is the volvo DPX-r Its like driving on tarmac with slicks ! sorry little oftopic there !
Old 10-09-2009, 03:27 AM
Registered

I am hearing that alot. but you are the first to post it. Thanks. The arneson sounds great on paper but the risk is too high. I really would love to give it a try. But so far not one person with a light single has come forward with a sucess story. I have all winter to decied but looks like it will be an SCX. Maybe by then they will have a -3 SCX
How about this one !!! I wanna try !http://www.xpowerdrive.com/frame_index.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.