Notices

Arneson or SCX

Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arneson or SCX

I am doing some engine mods on my 2005 Kryptonite over the winter 1000hp plus. I am torn between upgrading my SC extreme upper for a SCX or going with an Arneson. Looks like the Arneson will cost me an additional 12K or so. I would hope for the 12K I would get better reliability and some more speed. Anyone do a Arneson on a smaller V hull? Mine is a 27 with a platform its called a 29.

Don
Glen Harbor Marina
Old 09-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1000HP.............. Arneson all the way.

Darrell.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would personally go with Arneson, or maybe a dry sump #6 like the Slim Shady Activator.

Arneson would be a lot lighter and probably faster, but I havent seen a Kryptonite with that setup before, so it will be a big job to dial it in.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Arneson

http://www.arneson-industries.com/ Get with Rik
Old 09-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Registered

I talked a litle with Rik. I just wonder how it will handle with the Arneson.
Phil, i should work up some prices on the #6 @ cost it may not be so bad. I would hate to go with the Arneson and then be stuck being a test pilot all summer trying to get it set up. I hear there might be fiberglass work to the bottom necessary and testing to get it dialed in. I wish I knew more about the Arneson.... expecially with a single engine smaller V..
Old 10-01-2009, 01:14 AM
Registered

You will most likely have to fill in the notch in order to fit the Arneson.
There is a small Donzi that I just saw on here recently with a single arneson. A while back there was a bigger single vee, 28-30' range, that had an arneson, but the guy never responded back when people asked how it worked out.

I am not saying that the arneson is a bad idea, it will just take a TON of dialing in. Once you get it set up right, you will be in the money. As I am sure you know, surface props are a totally different ballgame, usually requiring a bunch of different test props. They do have a setup where you can use a standard Bravo style prop, which may not be a bad idea.

I say go for it with the Arneson, who knows, maybe Rik will work with you a little on the price considering you are going to a test dummy.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Registered

Phil,
Maybe I will call Rik today. I really want to get my propshaft higher. I think I am going to ditch the ITS and put the drive closer to the transom. That will get it higher in the water, same effect, or go with the Arneson.....
Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Registered

I have a scx with no problem and know people running 1100 plus without failure to date. Be careful with the arneson to make sure a surface prop will work well with your hull. I have heard some people have setup problems when converting with x demension and proping correctly. I am not saying anything bad about the drive because they are really nice just do your reseach before you make your choice.
John
Old 10-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnlomant
I have a scx with no problem and know people running 1100 plus without failure to date. Be careful with the arneson to make sure a surface prop will work well with your hull. I have heard some people have setup problems when converting with x demension and proping correctly. I am not saying anything bad about the drive because they are really nice just do your reseach before you make your choice.
John
Thats my whole problem. Where to find the research.... I hear good from everyone using the Arnesons, and they are strong. Then I hear about setup... Somewhere the truth must lie, but where to find it out without spending 20K.
I talked to Rik today, he is confident it would be a good fit, and after talking with him and looking at the drawings am confident it will be a day job hooking it up. But then I will have to hope it handles good... Its an expensive leap of faith. But I do like to be different. Maybe Rik will loan me the drive and if it works I can give him the $$$, and if it does not I can send the drive back, lol
Guess I will finish the motor and then worry about the drive.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:05 AM
Registered

Have you decided on a motor build yet?

It will certainly be a serious roll of the dice, but selling it if it doesnt work out shouldnt be too big of an issue. You may lose a little money on it, but you never know, it could work out great.

Are you planning on using Rik's Bravo conversion, or just getting a complete new setup and redoing the transom (again)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.