Kaamma drive know how >

Kaamma drive know how

Notices

Kaamma drive know how

Old 05-06-2010, 05:12 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kneeslider74
No sorry from WI. I bought from Jarrod, could be the same guy though. He was from quad cities,,, in davenport I think.
I am going through it now and trying to get'er settled. Got her up to 80+ but WOW it porpuses bad at that speed. I found a crack in one of the props and am in need of some help, sure would think that upper 90's should be attainable.
You?
yes
Old 05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what can you tell me about the boat? From what I know it had been gone through by him and motors freshened. He did say the drives had a different gear set in each. Why would someone do that???????? There isnt much difference between 26 tooth and 24 tooth but seems like it would be best to match them, just my thought. All things being equal it is a heavy boat and does go ok and my girls love it. Oh yea price was right!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kneeslider74
So what can you tell me about the boat? From what I know it had been gone through by him and motors freshened. He did say the drives had a different gear set in each. Why would someone do that???????? There isnt much difference between 26 tooth and 24 tooth but seems like it would be best to match them, just my thought. All things being equal it is a heavy boat and does go ok and my girls love it. Oh yea price was right!

24 tooth upper gear 24 tooth lower gear is 1:1 gear ratio the best and stongest kaama made. 25 upper and 23 lower is 8% over drive 23 upper 25 lower is 8% underdriven. you cant mix 24 teeth with 23 or 25 tooth. I do believe 26 22 tooth combination is either 13 or 18 percent under or over drive. Bruce
Old 05-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Registered

This is the problem I have not seen inside the drives for myself just notes on a tablet from the other owner. I was told they were different gears in it. I have two gears that were replaced and one is a 26 and other is 23. I guess Ill have to take both of them apart to be sure. guess ill start looking for the right sets and go from there. Now I remember why I prefer to build stuff myself!!! It is a little tough to spin the props to find out gear ratios when you dont know where to start. How can I accurately figure this out. Spin the prop 100 times and count the revs of the h bar????? OR spin the hbar 100 times and count the prop revs??? OR Take them apart?? If the ratios are different I would think they need to be matched.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:33 AM
alj
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Kneeslider,
Do the drives actually have different gears in one drive from the other drive? Somebody may just be confused as to why the two gears in ONE drive might be different from each other. That is how it is underdriven or overdriven. I actually am in the middle of a rebuild on my port kaama drive. Rear shaft seals blew out last summer and the incoming water shattered the rear roller bearing nearest the prop. So far this has been great FUN! I'll have to post some pictures. Looks like I'll have to disassemble the other side so we can figure out what the roller bearing is supposed to look like. THANK GOD FOR SPARES!
Old 05-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Registered

Talking

I asked the previos owner about the gearing and he said that when he went through them there was different gearing in them and as he was not sure he replaced them with what was in the drive when he took them apart. both props are the same, I have to check the TD's. I think if I can spin the h bar enough time and keep track I should be able to figure the gearing out. My thinking is that if I spin the prop 26 times the h bar would turn 23 times if the gearing is 26/23. Right now if I turn it once it gives the h bar .75, but sight is not the most accurate way to do it unless I turn it over many times. I did a search on mismatched gear set and another guy had the same prob. in his Kaama drives. Hope that they are not done this way on purpose. It was an old race boat and I do know that they do weird stuff depending on conditions and circuit design. I have some numbers for my drive parts as follows just in case they help:
Outer seal-10060-LP
Middle Seal- 12007-LPD
Inner Seal-7073-LUP
Big Roller Bearing-5208 Nachi Japan
How much time does it take to get it off the boat and crack one open to get to the gearing?
Keep in touch and let me know what you find.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Registered

Aji you are right agian( tell the wife)! We spun the prop 26 revs and the H bar spun 23 exactly on both sides. all this worry for nothing. SO the TD'S are stamped 1.52 Yep both of them.
So here is the equation
7800#s, Twin 500hp's, 1.52 trans, 13% overdrive, 26pitch 4 blades. Is it a viable set up to get to triple digits????
7800 lbs is an estimate!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Bruce, you are on IT
Old 07-07-2010, 12:13 PM
alj
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys,
I'm into these drives and running into a couple problems. I finally sourced the seals direct from the manufacturer. The bearings are not going as well. The aft housing needle roller bearing is an IKO #TAFI 425730 (with the inner ring) and the blind hole bearings for the shaft ends are IKO #BRI 162820 with the inner ring. The bigger shaft bearings don't seem to be a problem locally but the needle bearings are. Anyone use a bearing supplier that actually stocked those bearings? I have INA Bearing and NTN Bearing cross reference numbers if needed. I WANT TO GO BOATING!!! Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

I use to work for Kaama. I was always able to get bearings from Mesa Bearing. 800-821-2657.