Notices

Imco SCX

Old 10-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Imco SCX

I would like to hear from people running this drive. I now run SC's on my 42 Tiger and engines are KE675 and lets just say that the SC's are too small.

I am considering just getting the uppers and reusing my lowers or getting complete drives with the option to swap lowers if needed.

I preffere reliability over speed but do not want to loose too much speed.

I am after good/bad about drives and pricing. How much do you pay for a complete drive and how much for just the upper. I can see the price for the upper on Imco's website but I guess they can be had for less. Also how much cost the helmet that is needed?

I have outside steering with wingplates that bolt up to 4 of the 6 studs that hold the drive in place and I assume that the boltpattern/size of studs is not the same which means I can not reuse my wingplates?

I know that there are other treads on this but I just feel that by now there must be a lot more drives running and with more hours on them. Let me know what you think.

Cigaretteman
Old 10-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on IMCO SCX. There are a few guys on here that have posted.

I love mine. I kept the SC lower. No speed loss compared to just the SC.

Chris
Old 10-23-2009, 08:53 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CB-BLR

Chris
Chris,
I am in the process of switching to an SCX upper this winter. I wanted to keep my SC lower. I have talked to Imco, the SCX upper will not mate to the SC lower unless you replace the vertical shaft. However, they say they are making a coupler that will adapt the SCX upper to the SC lower. How did you get around this? Replace the vertical shaft? Were there any other issues to get the 2 to match up? How many hours did you put on the upper?
Old 10-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CB-BLR

Chris
Hi Chris, I have already been througe OSO and read all treads. I just hoped that there would be more people out there running it that would chime in on it.

Are your prop in the same hight now as with the SC upper? I know the lower bolts up, but are the SC and SCX upper the same height so the propeller will end up in the same height after the swap?

Cigaretteman
Old 10-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Vinny P
Chris,
I am in the process of switching to an SCX upper this winter. I wanted to keep my SC lower. I have talked to Imco, the SCX upper will not mate to the SC lower unless you replace the vertical shaft. However, they say they are making a coupler that will adapt the SCX upper to the SC lower. How did you get around this? Replace the vertical shaft? Were there any other issues to get the 2 to match up? How many hours did you put on the upper?
Vinny,

I bought IMCO's conversion vertical shaft, and installed it into my SC lower. This conversion shaft has a larger diameter than the SC vertical shaft, so comes with the correct bearings and races to make this happen. Other than this, the lower mates to the SCX upper just the same as before... you can even use XR spacers if needed.. you just have to use the correct length SCX coupler for spacer applications.

I only put a couple of hours on the drive before pulling the motor to go off to Dustin for some engine R&D upgrades that he will be offering for the 600 & 700 sci motors.

The drive is noticably beefier than a SC, and I went exactly the same speed as before the conversion.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 10-24-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Cigaretteman
Hi Chris, I have already been througe OSO and read all treads. I just hoped that there would be more people out there running it that would chime in on it.

Are your prop in the same hight now as with the SC upper? I know the lower bolts up, but are the SC and SCX upper the same height so the propeller will end up in the same height after the swap?

Cigaretteman
The SCX will place your prop-shaft depth at exactly the same depth as the SC drive.

There were no speed differences between the two uppers (SC & SCX)

Chris
Old 10-24-2009, 11:51 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

Thanks for the information. I have been in contact with Imco. They say they will have an adapter coupler available very soon. I am going to wait to see how that develops, if not, I will go for the replacement vertical shaft.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Registered

I was just in the classifieds and saw Diamond Performance advertise the SCX drive for 16.995$ am I missing something here? On Imcos website a complete upper is 9.309$ and a complete lower is 5.470$ = 14.779$ so diamond performance will put the upper and the lower together for you at the bargin price of 2.216$ ???Maybe it is just me but I would expect a complete drive to be cheaper than buying a seperate upper and a seperate lower.

Cigaretteman
Old 10-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Chris
Gold Member

The helmet kit is about $850+

You also need a 20 oz drive reseviour which from IMCO is about $400 because the drive holds 5 quarts, and the reseviour needs room for oil expansion.

I think this drive is really the solution for broken Bravo's.
It also has a built in oil cooler in addition to the drive cap cooler.

Chris
Old 10-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cigaretteman,
Email sent.

Thanks
Dick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.