broken gears in bravo 1 drive >

broken gears in bravo 1 drive

Notices

broken gears in bravo 1 drive

Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken bravo drive

thanks strip poker , thats the info I looking for.
now i can pull the gears and look wat is dismanteld so the dealer can order the parts first.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ptufaro
It sounds like you have destroied the housing as well as the gears. If that is the case you dont need a manual, just buy another upper. Not sure if you have a single or twin app but you may want to upgrade at least to an XR or some other aftermarket drive.
Unfortunatly I have broken a few and have never been able to re-use a housing.
What led you to believe the cases were not re-usable? Was it impossible to get the right rolling resistance, oil leaks, parts not fitting back in? I'm just curious as I have heard this before but wonder how one determines this.

BT
Old 12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
What led you to believe the cases were not re-usable? Was it impossible to get the right rolling resistance, oil leaks, parts not fitting back in? I'm just curious as I have heard this before but wonder how one determines this.

BT
don't know about his, but when my upper failed and we tore it down, the case was split at the input shaft......there's no fixing that!!! Often the top cap will pop which might save the case, or the floor that holds the gears will break and drop slightly...then the case is garbage.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats exactly what happened to my Bravo 1 drive--broke the case in the upper. Ended up replacing the entire drive.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Registered

Wow, I'd say that case is junk. Thanks for the info. I guess the 2 I did this yr I was luck because they went back together fine. One just needed a little dressup of where gear parts dug into the side of the case. The rest all check out fine and I am comfortable that they will run.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A buddy takes cases that have had the towers busted completely as in the picture and installed a steel tower. Just have to make sure the case isn't split out further and that the bore is good in order to tap threads into it for the tower insert. He later went to a press fit tower.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeromeke
thanks strip poker , thats the info I looking for.
now i can pull the gears and look wat is dismanteld so the dealer can order the parts first.
keep up with the shims!!! most of the time they go back with the same shims,but being stretched it might be out.

Bearing tq is differant on use dna dne,that on the upper input bearing set sane as the lower,cking roling tq on vert shaft,Put red loctet on the bert shaft nut,I had one back off, fubared

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Registered

Thumbs up broken bravo drive

Thanks for al the info,it seems that the housing looks ok,only destroit som gears and bearings , next week i drive to the dealer for repair.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Blue Thunder,
When a gear set is destroyed it can do fun things to the case. The towers will warp, the floor will move around and the tower alignment can be out of wack. The input snout can be streched, etc. If the gears don't line up properly.. they live a short life.
I found where on person welded some gouges in the upper case and warped the floor by .007".. The new XR gear set lasted about 5hrs.
I had the floor recut and check tower alignment and put a new set of gears in it.. I believe that drive is still in use.
So yes they can be repaired if the damage is not too severe. I have also installed towers in cases like the one above, but I discourage it.. Although the gent talked me into it and I believe the drive is still in use.
I like to put the tower in Before the damage occurs... Part of the B1 upgrade along with the XR ribbed top cap and studs and upgrade gear kit, that I do.

Dick