TRS Gimbal Dissasembly Q's

Notices

TRS Gimbal Dissasembly Q's

Old 12-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS Gimbal Dissasembly Q's

Hi All,

I've got the bellhousing and all the bellows off, I need to replace both (port/strbd) lower gimbal bearings. Lower pin cotter is removed. Is there a trick to removing the lower pin? There is a screwdriver slot in the bottom but I see no references to it being threaded.

I am using a bit of heat and PB Blaster. Any thoughts?

When reassembling, is the more available equivalent to the Mercruiser bellows glue?

This may be a stretch, but is there a cross reference to industry standard lower swivel bearings and seals? The Merc stuff is $$ for little parts!

Many thanks for all y'alls help, Randy
Old 12-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Registered

A bit more heat and PB blaster and I got one of them out and the other one moving. Still the second two questions I have though!

Working now on removing the old P/S setup. Pretty Rube Goldberg esque!!

Thanks, Randy
Old 12-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yes you can get the bearings through an industrial supply. I have a friend who owns an Electric Motor Supply and Service facility, and thats were I buy all mine. If you have any trouble, let me know. I can get them for you. Also, if your have dropped, you will want to inspect your upper bearings/ steering pins/ steering arms. If you need to replace the pins and the arms, that's where the big money is at.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Registered

Thanks, I couldn't imagine Mercury tooled up anything unique, I'll let you know if I hit a wall finding a bearing locally.

How (not)important is a loose steering arm if I am moving to external steering?

Thanks, Randy
Old 12-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going external it is not important at all. If you want to you can remove the arm.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Audio, removing the arm is a no-no. You can cut off most of it, or make a spacer to replace it but the nut on top of the arm + the arm thickness + the washer below the arm is what carries the weight and sets the height of the gimbal ring in the transom housing.

Make sense?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered

Default thread on upper pin - for slide hammer puller

Thanks for all the info. One last upper pin to go. Does anyone know the internal thread size in the bottom of the upper pin? According to the manual there is a special adapter for a slide hammer and I need to rig something up similar. Square pin style.

Thanks, Rand
Old 12-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbam
Audio, removing the arm is a no-no. You can cut off most of it, or make a spacer to replace it but the nut on top of the arm + the arm thickness + the washer below the arm is what carries the weight and sets the height of the gimbal ring in the transom housing.

Make sense?
You know I never thought of that and I have never done it myself but I have seen a few boats with out the arms in them..... Good to know however thanks!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Konrad makes a nifty little spacer for their own drives but it works just great on the TRS too.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Registered

Good info thanks. I think I'll cut one of the arms down a bit and use the other for a drive angle gauge. I'll have 8 turns LTL and I plan on losing track around the dock.

I got both gimbal rings and the bearings are SHOT, non-existent really. Kind of a poor design and choice of materials, IMHO.

Have a great holiday season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.