Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Question for an OMC expert, Anyone?? >

Question for an OMC expert, Anyone??

Notices

Question for an OMC expert, Anyone??

Old 02-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question for an OMC expert, Anyone??

I am asking this for a friend as he has a family runabout with an OMC outdrive

He wrecked the lower unit gears and is in the process of replacing them. The issue is that it appears a special tool is used to determine the correct shim required for the pinion/lower shaft assembly. I have attached a PDF showing the tool and how to use it. He is trying to avoid spending the money on the tool and is wondering if there is some other way to measure it? He works for a manufacturing company that has plenty of equipment that will allow him to measure anything about the assembly but nowhere can we find any specs regarding what the thickness should be. Any ideas? Worst case is anyone looking to part with their tool for cheap money?

He says the unit is: 1986 to approx. 1993 OMC Cobra 5.0

Thanks in advance!
Jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ShimTool-Instru.pdf (679.3 KB, 118 views)
Old 02-01-2010, 02:21 PM
sac
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no spec, only the tool and I have one that I can measure and give you the dimension or ship me the shaft and related parts. I was a boat mechanic for 30 years
Old 02-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sac
There is no spec, only the tool and I have one that I can measure and give you the dimension or ship me the shaft and related parts. I was a boat mechanic for 30 years
I noticed your a new member so first off Welcome to the forum!!

In regards to the pinion gear and shaft, you said there is no spec on the assembly dimension but ultimatly that assembly dimension sets the backlash of the gears so is there a spec on what the backlash should be?

That's very gracious of you to help determine the correct spacer and ultimately that may be what we have to do. Another option would be to see if we could borrow the tool?

Let me know!
Thanks
Jim
Old 02-02-2010, 02:05 AM
sac
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO spec, the tool determines the pinion height,OMC said there cases were all identical so thats what we always delt with, worked most of the time. I am in Folsom CA, where are you located? Yes I will loan you the tool
Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sac
NO spec, the tool determines the pinion height,OMC said there cases were all identical so thats what we always delt with, worked most of the time. I am in Folsom CA, where are you located? Yes I will loan you the tool
I am located in Sandown NH. Let me talk to my buddy and see if he is ready to proceed. I will get back to you! Thanks again!

Jim