Notices

Trs To Bravo

Old 02-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trs To Bravo

I recently got a 81 38 scarab with staggered 454's dirt cheap.
It has not drives and 1 engine and tranny is gone. I can get 2 454s for a bravo for $4000 would it be better to go with bravos or go with konrads or trs. Also does anybody know where I can get some test results for each of these set ups.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the board, and congrats on the staggered 38! Post some pics!

I'm sure you will get a ton of opinions on this, but I would say keep the trannys and go with Konrads. Depending on power, you might be able to get away with bravos, but with a big heavy boat with big power, you might eat bravos up quickly. Are you sure the boat originally came with TRS?? What kind of tranny do you have left, is it a B&W?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Registered

How do I post pics?
What do you think the konrads would cost. Where would I find a set of them?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Registered

Konrads are about 14K each and I think that is just for the drives themselves. If you are starting from scratch and have the money, look at Arneson's. They are around $16K each for everything. If you go Bravo's you'll have to fill in your transom and re-cut...any way you look at it, your going to be into this project for a good chunk of change.

Depending on if you still have the TRS transom assemblies or not, your most cost-efficient option would probably be to source the parts and stick with the TRS drives.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Konrads are around $12k each side complete with transom units and ready to bolt on. It gets cheaper if you have the TRS transom units on the boat.

Bravo is a big job and requires moving the motors back or running a tailstock and driveshaft.

Arneson is a great drive too but will require re-rigging too and let's not dicuss the cost of props. It's probably a whole lot more drive than whatr you would need.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Registered

I have rolls of woven and resin is about 50 bucks a gallon time is nothing. It wouldnt be the first time i re done a rotton transom. I fix boats for a living. Has it been done? Does anyone know what gears and props to start (bravo)
Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a 377? I used to have one of those. Cool boats.

Gut the bildge and find a fiberglass guy to redo your transom.

Cost a couple thousand. Get some gimbles that are in good shape from somebody here on the board. Pick up a couple late model bravo's

You'll be finished with your project for less money that the cost of 1 Konrad. Boat will be a little lighter too.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Registered

Your thinking like im thinking like me. Got any pics I could see of it? Even an XR Bravo used aint to bad cost.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boatmedic_canada
I have rolls of woven and resin is about 50 bucks a gallon time is nothing. It wouldnt be the first time i re done a rotton transom. I fix boats for a living. Has it been done? Does anyone know what gears and props to start (bravo)
Start at 1:5. If they are 454's, probably around a 23P - 25P 3 blade.

If this is an old conventional, sure it is, you will get more speed out of the 3 blades until you get it set up and then call BBlades and have a let of bravos made with teh BAJA cup.

How much HP on the 454's?

That boat is gonna want at least 500+- a side.

I had some 420's in mine and it would just creep over 70. If I had new props it would have picked up 1 or 2 mph
Old 02-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Registered

I think there are around 330 each with stock exhaust so theres room for improvement there. Thanks man I think I am going to try that.

Keep ya posted. Still open for any other suggestion looking for bravo and transom plates down the Michigan area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.