Extreme gimbal bearing removal... need help >

Extreme gimbal bearing removal... need help

Notices

Extreme gimbal bearing removal... need help

Old 03-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme gimbal bearing removal... need help

I've beat myself silly with the slide hammer and have tightened my flat bar against the housing so tight that I'm concerned about breaking something else. The bearing isn't that old, doesn't show any signs of corrosion, and doesn't appear to be cocked sideways or anything. I've thought about drilling around the bearing. Never had one so tough that the flat bar method didn't get them. How tight can I go without breaking something? Any other ideas?
Old 03-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure, but i think you may have to tilt the bearing and take it out sideways.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorefisher
Any other ideas?
Pull the engine and give it hell from the front side....

I don't think you can knock the bearing sideways, and push it through the transom assembly - I don't think the hole is big enough, but I could be wrong.

Tried applying heat/cold to it??
Old 03-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Registered

Read this starting at post number 23, You may need to sign up to see the photos.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364003
Old 03-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Registered

Yeah, axle bearing puller works great.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Boat Tech.. that is a very good link you gave us. I ordered a set after I saw this.. I dont have a gimbal bearing to pull and I probably never will now!! Cheap insurance..
Thanks!
Dick
Old 03-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like that transfers all the force to the gimble ring and the pivots. If it's really stuck, any chance of breaking the ring?

Seems a puller that uses a 'pipe-like' fixture that locates right around the outer lip of the bearings bore on th housing would keep the forces right at the bearing bore.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Registered

Default Right.. pressure on pivots

My setup is very similiar. But, how much pressure can I add before I crack the ring?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Boat Tech.. that is a very good link you gave us. I ordered a set after I saw this.. I dont have a gimbal bearing to pull and I probably never will now!! Cheap insurance..
Thanks!
Dick
Your welcome, That tool does make it much easier on you to remove that bearing, Because you can easily install the tool behind the bearing, Then just flatten the tool out and start pulling with either a BIG slide hammer or puller using a nut and turning it till it pops out.

Originally Posted by offshorefisher
My setup is very similiar. But, how much pressure can I add before I crack the ring?
I would say a good amount of pressure is ok.

Is the bearing area all rusty?
Does the bearing have/ Or get well greased over it's life? Or is it all dried up in there? If it's dried up you should start soaking it the best you can, And add some grease to the bearings zerk fitting as well, This may help you some. Good luck with it.

Just another thought here is all, If you feel there is to much pressure on the bell housing, Maybe you could try to rig up some kind of strong handle to the end of the puller bar and use a "Come A Long" puller hooked to a tree or somthing like that. Just thinking out loud or outside the box is all.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The easiest way to get the gimbal bearing out is to drill into the outside of the race. Drill one hole through the outside of the race and another 180 degrees opposite of the first hole, this will collapse the race and make it easy to pull, the race is soft aluminum. Center punch the race so the drill doesn't cut into the transom mount.

Gimbal bearings that were froze into place easily come out with this method. Forget the slide hammers and trying to use threaded rod. You're not going to re-use the bearing.

Having the bearing install tool is a great investment, it saves time and will seat the bearing fully and properly.

Been there done that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.