Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
who has broke a scx imco drive? >

who has broke a scx imco drive?

Notices

who has broke a scx imco drive?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also IMCO said expect to rebuild the SC lower ever 50 hours or so. I agree I have a customer with 900+ hp and that's about when we do his. The lower has never broke it just starts making noise and the gears are peeled.. at least it doesn't break, IMCO agreed they said the gears pit and peel, but rarely break in the lower. im gonna give it a try.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DonRoc
I ordered mine I was going to order the complete SCX but after IMCO said I would likely lose 5mph at the speeds I expect I just ordered the upper. I am putting my -3 lower on it. I talked to Brett@BBLades before making the decision, he assured me we could make a prop work well. He is cutting me down a test prop and sending it my way ASAP. So yes you can mate a -3 to the stock upper. I think he said a 14 3/4 diam would work but don't quote me, he said 1/8" is min and would like to see 1/4" between the prop and cav plate.
Very good news. Now I just gotta sell my SC uppers.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:44 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

UD,
is the bearing in the tower that rides on that damaged surface on the shaft, the caged type or the old style, uncaged?

I am also curious if you monitor drive oil temps?

Thanks
Dick
Old 05-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
UD,
is the bearing in the tower that rides on that damaged surface on the shaft, the caged type or the old style, uncaged?

I am also curious if you monitor drive oil temps?

Thanks
Dick
I dont know enough about what Im looking at to know-

If I lay out the parts and take picts can you tell me?
Or tell me what to look for?

The bearings seem to be "connected" with another component.

(I have a whole bag of "stuff")

No I dont monitor drive temps, Im usually only going 35-50MPH 99% of the time in the ocean.

UD
Old 05-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

UD,
If the parts are in a bag, then look for a bearing that about 1" in dia and 3/8" tall. It will slide on the shaft that has the damage on it. It is located inside of the tower in the case and one inside the tower in the top cap.
A caged bearing has metal between each needle bearing. Uncaged has twice as many needles.. and they rub against each other.
I have seen this galling before, but not often enough to deterime if it is the bearing or a bad shaft. I change the caged ones to the uncaged, but still see it on occasion. Probably a soft shaft (bad part) just like a lot of the other parts they sell these days.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
UD,
If the parts are in a bag, then look for a bearing that about 1" in dia and 3/8" tall. It will slide on the shaft that has the damage on it. It is located inside of the tower in the case and one inside the tower in the top cap.
A caged bearing has metal between each needle bearing. Uncaged has twice as many needles.. and they rub against each other.
I have seen this galling before, but not often enough to deterime if it is the bearing or a bad shaft. I change the caged ones to the uncaged, but still see it on occasion. Probably a soft shaft (bad part) just like a lot of the other parts they sell these days.
Based on what I can tell with a quick glance - it looks caged, but I see both types of bearings.

The shaft doesnt perfectly fit anything with a bearing in my "bag" so Im suspecting a part was left out.

This was installed approximately 12 months ago.

To the drive temp question- the oil on the parts smells like its been REALLY hot.

I do a fair amount of my own work, but I stay away from gears and gearsets.

It doesnt smell "good", but I dont really know what to expect.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails who has broke a scx imco drive?-library-5518.jpg   who has broke a scx imco drive?-library-5516.jpg   who has broke a scx imco drive?-library-5517.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 05-06-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
26Redline did have a SCX fail on him... it wouldn't shift into or out of gear at about 4 hours. It was extremely difficult shifting from day one. I believe that his drive was defective from the get-go, and is now being warranteed by IMCO.

I have put a SCX upper with a SC lower behind a Magic cat with a 1203 hp 598 in front of it.. with no problems shifting or otherwise. It shifts extremely smoothly.

I ran my SCX upper/ SC lower on my Heat behind 750hp with no problems and smooth shifting. I lost zero speed as compared to my SC upper.

I just re-installed my 600sci, Stage VI whipple motor which dynoed at 960 hp in the boat, and will let you guys know how it goes.... so far...so good.

Chris
Comment:

My comment addresses the statement you made in the highlighted section specifically the part about not losing speed.

I have done more testing on drives with my boat and I can safely say the bold statement above is currently untrue. I have lost a tremendous amount of speed when compared to my SC upper it is not even funny 7-10MPH loss on the top end.

I think the SCX is a good drive but there are issues with it not being discussed in the public domain. I hope to resolve the top end speed loss here real quick it might be something simple or not. I will haul the boat to IMCO here and we will brain storm to see if we can figure out the problem.

The boat runs well on the lower end and the midrange it is only when I put the wood to it i.e...serious HP above 5500RPM that I have problems. No one can figure it out and I am trying to eliminate all the variables.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get my top end back please PM me.

NOTE: I have done the drive comparison directly with a SC drive [swap done the same day] and I can tell you the SCX/SC combination is significantly slower---what is significant 6-10MPH slower and I cannot tolerate such a mph loss.

Therefore, if you have some experience with drives and have some ideas I would love to hear from you now versus chiming in later with an Oh! Yeah! I knew X or Y.

KAP

P.S. Allegedly my bud 26Redline broke his SC lower gear set and no it was not warrantied as of yet. I must say though with only 4 hours on it I would not be happy if that were my drive.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Kap,
with the drive off, does the input shaft turn freely, similar to the SC drive. Or can you feel more drag on it?

My friend put two on his Apache and is running within a couple mph of his XR speed. But his XR's were reg length and now the SCX lower is -2", using 5 blade props.
If you bolt the SC back on, it goes fast, correct?
Seems like it is costing you power on the top. But I can imagine why it is taking that much..
I hope you can find it.. Keep us posted, please.
Sorry I cant be of more help.
Dick
Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 PM

Default X drive

Not to high jack a thread, but wasnt kap328 running a x drive. I know there was some talk on here about the problems he was having(many). Am I all jacked up or did kap yank the drive and go different direction??
Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Registered

My SCX just came in today.. I have heard of no neglible speed loss over the sc upper. I also have both and will try them side by side when my project is done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.