Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would you do?

Problem solved, dragged the boat home

Last edited by camptappakeg69; 05-16-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Fed up
Old 05-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue is 3 years have gone by. could have been leaking from after there first reseal, but who knows. By time the bellows got enough gear oil in them to leak into the bilge and you did not notice the gear reservoir going down? That's a small leak. Might have gone unnoticed for some time. I dont remember the last time I ever replaced a gear side yoke, usually a seal takes care of it, but never know, could be grooved.
As far as going somewhere else, only you can know. If they are not taking care of you and it takes months to get things fixed well that's a problem.
Good luck
Old 05-10-2010, 04:39 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,
Is this by chance an XR drive? There is a replacement retainer nut for the input snout for the XR. The seal would push forward and leak.
I doubt that is the case from your description.
I would ask to see the yoke and check the surface for a groove. Even if it did have a grove, it would have to be a nasty one.. I generally polish the seal area with 600 grit, put a new seal in and never have any problems. The seal needs to be greased to prevent dry start up and destroying the seal.

As far as doling out money.. It does happen, but if you get a good relationship with your mechanic.. as least you know it is truly money spent on a problem.

Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 05-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replys, its a bravo 1, and the resvoir was down after the last 2 times in water. Thats when i started lookin for a leak, thought maybe tube or res was leaking at first. Then it was time for winterizing & storage. Not familiar with wrenching on marine equipment, mostly automotive bodyrepair/suspension/light mechanical for the past 20 years. We have such a short season here I thought I would leave it for the professionals to deal with.

I guess I am just concerned what caused the wear on the yoke and seals, after having all the work done on the drive and gimbal ring assembly being replaced, I dont want to be possibly paying for other people's mistakes. Maybe its time to start learning my own marine repair skills.

Last edited by camptappakeg69; 05-10-2010 at 05:05 PM.