engine coupler smoked

Notices

engine coupler smoked

Old 05-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ted,
Merc engineers didnt know about it, until they were told of the problem. They may have corrected it by now, who knows. If your new couplers have the long snout, then check to see if the input shaft is hitting on the ID of the long snout. I was told the taper on the input shaft is different on the two oring verses the three oring.
Did you have trouble mounting the drives that last 1/4"?? If you did, then I would take them back off and check things. How long have you run the motors if at all?

This was something I did not know about and I doubt many others know either. Only way to know for sure is to slide the input shaft into the coupler and see how far it goes before there is interference. It must be taken off the ujoint to do it effectively.
Dick
Old 05-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well as it turned out I had not mounted the drives till last night. I had a coupler with the extended snout on the shelf and a drive hanging on the hoist. The input shaft did not stop till it bottomed out. I also checked the gap at the shaft taper with it all the way in and there was about 1/8" between the parts. With a nice load of grease in there, the drives slid in like butter all the way, no fuss, no muss. The couplers were brand new and the shafts are first generation so there could not be more of a time split. So I guess they worked it out. Is there any chance your friend overpacked the coupler with grease and hydrolocked it in the front of the coupler?
Old 05-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are the pro's and con's between hp coupler and standard coupler